Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TnriverRat93
    replied
    If you could maybe send me a picture or some kind of description of a walking stick your willing to trade I will gladly make sure to it you get all the chert you need. I live in New Johnsonville Tennessee and there is old quarries everywhere here. It is a blessing in my opinion to live here in Humphreys county and have such passion for native American culture. I live just a few miles from the largest native American archaeological find In the u.s., the link site. Plus big bottoms or duck river unit which ever you prefer is where I actually live. Chert is no problem. Good walking stick with good craftsmanship sounds like a good trade.

Leave a comment:

• tomclark
    replied
    Rhode Island is a bit far from my backyard where there are piles and piles of knappable rocks I've brought home from hunts.

Leave a comment:

• Davebowen
    replied
    Next time I get a chance, I'll grab some off the roof and show some pics. I've worked it and it's plenty big enough. I just suck and make a big pile of flakes out of it. lol. I frequently find fist sized chert up there.  Yea, someone link the story if they find it!

Leave a comment:

• OnewiththewilD
    replied
    ya actually! ive been bustin up some old chunks of "johnstone" i found in a old dump out in the woods.fun stuff.and any chunks of argillite big enough that i find.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    I have seen it in Landscaping in East TN but what I saw was too small for working. Jay have you practiced any?

Leave a comment:

• OnewiththewilD
    replied
    im a roofer myself , we do some commercial and a decent bit of flat rubber roofs as well, we do tar and gravel removel alot but all the stone is just that,small gravel.thanks though! HOSS actually has a great tar and gravel story.im sure someone knows where it is.

Leave a comment:

• Davebowen
    replied
    If you know any commercial roofers, we come across it all the time. Ballasted EPDM roofs are ballasted with river rock most of the time, and 80% of the ballast around the Dallas and Tennessee areas are chert, flint, and jasper. Many times we replace the roof with another roof system, and there literally tons and tons of it that we can't even give away. Once in a while a landscape company will haul some off for us. You might try some of those also and see if they have any washed river rock, about 2-4 inch dia. Most of it is a smooth light brown color outside. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• rockdigger
    replied
    Jay if I  come across something its yours. Every I got right now is tools cause I tried to make points too but I failed. I hope I can send you something cause there is great material around here. At worst ill send you tools. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• OnewiththewilD
    replied
    thanks guys, theres lots of quartzite around and of course quartz, no chert that ive ever noticed at the beaches though! charlie said they no longer allow people to gather the jasper if im not mistaken. i have attempted to work some felsite and ryolite chips ive found,i made a nice red felsite scraper outta one,i plan on using it this season.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    Jay you could also try your hand at quartz. Native Americans made some fine points out of it. Felsite and Rhyolite has to outcrop someplace in your area and I know Charlie had mentioned there is a Jasper source in RI. Rhyolite is some tough stuff though. I found some Hi Grade Rhyolite in a field in Woodbury CT gave it to a friend who was good at knapping. He was amazed that a moose antler billet was no match for it. It is some tough hard material.

Leave a comment:

• kayakaddict
    replied
    Jay there might be small chert pebbles on the beaches.  Also, consider trying to knap with wooden billets on quartzite which can be found in parkinglots and landscape rock piles around pools and such.  Best of luck on your search for materials.  ES

Leave a comment:

• AndrewSchwinn
    replied

If ya got any laying around, or want to walk down the road and pick them up

Leave a comment:

• TexasHarper
    replied
    Hey Jay....I'm in Texas and have a 5 gal bucket of chert I collected from a creekbed.  Not sure if it would ideal for making arrowheads or not..but...If you want it...it's yours....You'll just have to figure out how to get it.  I'm sure shipping would be financially prohibitive...but, like I said..if ya want it..it's yours
    Cathy

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    Gonna look around tomorrow Jay. I was in Ct for a couple weeks. Just got back late last evening

Leave a comment:

• OnewiththewilD
    replied
    or anything else that might seem suitable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X