No announcement yet.

My Favorite Christmas song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olden, that's pretty awesome your cousin played some with the Grascals! Great song choices too btw. Being from Kentucky, you know I love me some bluegrass music! Here's a classic by one of my favorite mandolin players, Sam Bush

Comment

Nice Sam Bush tune - I also love the mandolin: I need to check out more of Sam's music. Yrs. ago the Seldom Scene played the D.C. area all the time: never could get enough of their bluegrass. 
      I've also got deep roots in the Kentucky, SW parts of VA. and WV. My cousin Danny is the Grascals full time mandolin guy. They're doing well: playing with everybody in Nashville these days.

Yep - pickers is good. Here's one from their new album (sorry it's not Christmas related, but it may still hold some interest)
      From the album WHEN I GET MY PAY. Order today at iTunes (http://bit.ly/1akbjsm) or Amazon (http://amzn.to/1bi4sOe)Music video for The Grascals' "American Pic...

and one about our best friends - careful about leaving that turkey out to cool!
      Link to purchase "An Appalachian Christmas": http://bit.ly/vXs8WfMore videos:http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkOConnorMore info on Mr. O'Connor: http://www.mar...

and one from 'the Dawg' hisself ~
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Alan Jackson - nuff said..
      Let It Be Christmas is the eleventh studio album and the second Christmas album by American country music artist Alan Jackson. Unlike his first album of Chri...

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

That's really cool your cousin Danny is a full time member of The Grascals! I have their first self-titled cd, but haven't heard much else of theirs after that. The new song you posted of theirs sounds good though, so I'll definitely have to check out some of their newer stuff. Never saw the Seldom Scene before, but I can imagine they put on a good show! The Punch Brothers (Chris Thile's band) are pretty amazing to see live as well if you ever get the chance.
        Great song by Garcia/Grisman... David Grisman put out a Christmas album in the 80's, but I couldn't find any of the audio on youtube. Love some Dawg music though!
        Here's Bela Fleck -and- The Flecktones doing Christmastime and Linus -and- Lucy like you've never heard before!

And here's a nice instrumental version of Oh, Tannenbaum by The California Guitar Trio

Comment

I've got a few tunes bookmarked by The California Guitar Trio now!
          Fun version by Bela Fleck - the Christmas holidays just wouldn't seem right without some Charlie Brown music! An interesting bit of trivia about the show: it almost never happened - the sponcers didn't like anything about it, and only ran it because it had already been advertised.

I was listening to Sonny Rollins 'The Bridge' album (from '62) recently and would swear I could hear his influence in a bit of Vince Guaraldi's music score for the Charlie Brown Christmas (1965). Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue I guess..
          If you follow the YouTube link, it'll hook you up with the entire album - absolutely worth acquiring.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Gonna have to put some snow on this tune and call it Christmas. Everyone's done this, but this is my favorite version.

one more for the jazz guys.. --iii-

Comment

A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas have always been two of my favorite holiday shows since I was a kid... I even bought them on dvd! I didn't know that little fact about the Charlie Brown show though, but I'm glad it made it on the air. It certainly is a classic and probably my first introduction to jazz music! I like those Sonny Rollins tunes and you're right, there do seem to be some similarities in style between him and the Vince Guaraldi Trio. The only holiday jazz albums I have are Charlie Brown Christmas and one by Robert Walter, which I could not find any audio for online. So instead, here are a few other holiday tunes...
            One of my all time favorite Christmas songs performed on acoustic guitar by the great John Fahey

I found the holiday album by the Nashville Superpickers on youtube, so here's their version of Jingle Bell Rock

And another classic holiday song by the Jackson 5

Comment

Good stuff guys, thanks for turning me on to stuff I've never heard of.
              Another Christmas favorite, we still have the Album, which got played every year when the kids were still home. Alvin and the Chipmunks!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Couple Favorites...

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Roba Buona!
                  This concludes my Christmas uploads (and what a conclusion Pavarotti's singing here is!)I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New year!

Comment

Well.. Hope I'm not messing up the 'My Favorite Christmas Song' thread Greg, but it's a slow nite, and you know that I normally adhere very closely to the thread topics at hand. There's lots of interesting aspects  of the times, and cultures celebrating' the holidays through Christmas music though. So, without further ado - here's another one
                    Christmas wasn't (and still isn't) always so nice for a lot of folks: being with family and friends, and having plenty during the holidays wasn't always a given - sometimes it was waylaid by circumstances which were seemingly beyond all control.
                    This tunes for Gramps, who did a couple Christmas's in the big-house (starting in '31) for doing what he had to do to put bread on the table: make 'shine. The times were bitter hard: my grandparents crossed the country to Calif. in an old model A Ford to find work/pick fruit - when they returned home, the sheriff was waiting with a warrant for him. Kind of a Tom Joad Christmas I guess.
                    photo montage set to John Prine's "Christmas In Prison".

"Christmas In Paradise" by Mary GauthierWritten by Mary Gauthier and Crit HarmonAlbum: Filth & Fire (2002)https://www.marygauthier.comSTREAMSpotify: https://...

The Ghost of Tom Joad

To better give thanks, it's good to stop and remember what went before sometimes.
                    Well.. now that my history lesson is finished, I just need a bit soulful picking - I think these guys will do nicely.
                    Old & In The Way was a bluegrass super group of the 70's (1973-1974)that included Jerry Garcia, Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements and David Grisman. This reunion...

I promise a dancin', cheerful santa on my next post!

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Good stuff guys, thanks for turning me on to stuff I've never heard of.
                      Another Christmas favorite, we still have the Album, which got played every year when the kids were still home. Alvin and the Chipmunks!
                        The Alvin and the Chipmunks "Urban Chipmunk" and one of their holiday albums were the first records I ever owned as a child. Nobody can harmonize quite like the chipmunks! Here's one of their classics and a few more holiday songs to check out:

Comment

Christmas is getting closer and I for one have enjoyed listening to the holiday music posted so far. I'll be heading out-of-town today, so this will likely be the last batch of songs I get to share. Some will probably breathe a sigh of relief, but hopefully a few of you have enjoyed listening to them! :laugh: I hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday. Merry Christmas!

Comment

Good stuff guys, even a bit of Jorma in there!?!
                          You all have a Merry Christmas and thanks for turning us on to some great tunes.
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

well,im not much of a christmas kinda guy,but this one always makes me laugh,i hope it comes up on everyones computers.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3aCw-RurOk
                            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I am really surprised that this one was left out. What a great tune.

Merry Christmas everyone!
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X