GW Facial Reconstruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GW Facial Reconstruction

Pretty cool look of determination I think.

Not sure if their site was hacked, but a lot of the pictures are down.
    The article from George Washington Wired reads:
    Created by a forensic anthropologist and a team of interdisciplinary experts, the forensic figures of George Washington in Mount Vernon’s new Donald W. Reynolds Education Center, strive to show the real George Washington. There are three figures of George Washington, ages 19, 45, and 57: Washington as a young surveyor, as a General in the midst of the Revolution, and, Washington as he is taking the oath of office to become the first President of the United States.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Love this kind of forensic reconstruction work. Unfortunately that link doesn’t seem to work for me so I don’t know if the following info is already given.
    In 1785, the sculptor Jean-Antoine Houdon made a lifemask of Washington as a model to work from. Plaster was applied to his face to produce a mould, so this is what he actually looked like at the age of 53, about 4 years before he became president:

[Picture: The Morgan Library and Museum, New York City]
    Without wishing to take anything away from the great man, the resolute clenched jaw that he has on your dollar bills is likely the result of ill-fitting false teeth! The banknote engraving is based on an unfinished portrait by Gilbert Stuart, dating from 1796, when Washington was 64.
    Stuart noted: “When I painted him, he had just had a set of false teeth inserted, which accounts for the constrained expression so noticeable about the mouth and lower part of the face.”
    Washington had only one original tooth at the beginning of his presidency and had a series of false ones throughout his life (both actual teeth and carvings) held by a metal cage. It was reported that none fitted well and they caused him continual discomfort. The only complete set is on display at the Mount Vernon Museum:

[Picture: Mount Vernon Museum]
    Just to reassure you that this is not slanderous and unwarranted “redcoat” mud-slinging  :laugh:  and in the interests of fairness and balance… one of our greatest historical figures, Elizabeth I, had black teeth. The Elizabethans were fond of sugary foods but ranked low on the scale of dental care and hygiene. She also had quite a few missing teeth, reportedly making her speech difficult to understand at times.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Sorry about the link.
      I first ran across it on Reddit, and since then it's been disappearing.
      The site is: George Washington Wired

It wold be a terrible thing to have to be a leader and orator with a mouth full of
      painful and ill-fitting false teeth: in the end, I guess it shows that we're all just human.
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
      X