Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogus papers withdrawn by publishers

I so loved this……………
    The publishers Springer and IEEE are removing more than 120 papers from their subscription services after a French researcher discovered that the works were computer-generated nonsense:
    http://www.nature.com/news/publisher...papers-1.14763
    For example Jeremy Stribling and two co-authors at MIT in Cambridge, Mass. submitted the paper "Rooter: a methodology for the typical unification of access points and redundancy" to the 9th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics to be held in Florida, in July and it was accepted for publication without peer review.
    In addition, they asked via the MIT website for small donations to help fund their attendance to the conference to present the paper in person. Almost two and a half thousand dollars came in over the next three days.
    But the “paper” was written by a computer programme that cobbles together spurious articles including randomly generated graphs and equations. The abstract for the paper reads:
    Many physicists would agree that, had it not been for congestion control, the evaluation of web browsers might never have occurred. In fact, few hackers worldwide would disagree with the essential unification of voice-over-IP and public-private key pair. In order to solve this riddle, we confirm that SMPs can be made stochastic, cacheable, and interposable. :rolf:
    … and claims, among other things, that "the famous ubiquitous algorithm for the exploration of robots by Sato et al. runs in omega ((n+log n)) time". :blink: :crazy:
    You can generate your own spoof papers using the on-line version of the programme here:
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X