What's This Called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's This Called?

After seeing GarScale’s really wild Manning Fused Glass, I was reminded of this material. So, here’s a little teaser for you. What is it?

Apart from its generally accepted name, it’s sometimes referred to as “XXXX agate” (under at least two different names) although it’s not actually an agate.
    It’s extremely hard and used in the jewellery trade because it makes beautiful cabochons when cut and polished.
    The original sources (in America) are now exhausted and the limited supplies of remaining material can only be obtained by trade or purchase.

If you recognise it immediately, then be kind enough to say no more than “I know” so that others can have some guesses.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [GarScale]:

Well I sure don't know but I have sure missed you wit.
    Edit..on second thought, it looks like it might be found in one of Bills ThunderEggs!

Comment

I Know...I Know! Well as soon as you tell me I will.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

It occurs in a wide variety of colours (and it's not slag glass):

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

That has to be Woodstock related!

Comment

It's from Michigan.

Comment

Well I thought I knew! LOL sent you a PM
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I know, but only because of your geographic clue, which the Mrs. then seized upon.....
                Then again, unless it's also found in Minnesota, LOL, then I don't know  :dunno:
                Rhode Island

Comment

Okay out on a limb here with melted matchbox cars from Detroit. :crazy:  :crazy:  :rolf:  Seems like there is or was an Agate on the great lakes shores. but I think you can still find that. :dunno:  :dunno: Guess I will wait for the answer.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Matt thought celluloid agate but no, it's not that.
                    Chase... you're closer than you think. It is indeed (principally) from Detroit.
                    Charlie may well know. Anyone who has seen this material before will recognise it without any shadow of doubt whatsoever.

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

I have never seen natural material like it but it sure would make a killer 6 inch Scottsbluff!

Comment

No, I think I'm wrong with Lake Superior Agate?
                        Rhode Island

Comment

I've seen thousands of Lake Superior Agate but nothing like that.
                          It kind of looks like a bottle full of colored sand.
                          Michigan Yooper
                          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I know now! Sent you another PM Roger
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Here is one of my Lake Superior Agates.

Michigan Yooper
                              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                              X