What's This Called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt PM'd me... he now has it!
    It's not Lake Superior agate... and it is man-made but from a particular kind of process that's no longer in use as such.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I know what it is! I know what it is! Lol....
      Good ole Henry Ford!
      Rhode Island

Comment

I got it! I could a ford to take a guess and id be rite. but I will wait. Lets here Roger paint a picture of the story.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Yep... you're there (Matt got it first).
          It's known as "Fordite" and also as "Detroit Agate", "Motor Agate" or "Auto Agate" among other names.
          Layer upon layer of hardened paint from the hand-spraying of automobile bodywork before assembly became mechanised and painting moved to robots and the electrostatic process. The paint accumulated on the tracks and skids where the chassis sections were painted before the whole lot was pushed into the ovens used to cure the paint. Eventually the paint built up to a thickness that obstructed the tracks and had to be chipped off, but often it has seen as many as a hundred baking cycles.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Chase you were so close with Matchbox cars man. So close I wonder if Matel made the same kind of stuff in it's paint rooms.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Now that's something I have heard of! Great thread Roger
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

Educational as always!  BUTTTTTTTTTTTT...... The MFG is natural and the artifacts are REAL.

Comment

Working...
                X