Awesome catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome catch

I used to fish almost every single day and did that for years if no fields were plowed or no place to dig I would go get some bait and fish. This picture reminded me of an unusual way I caught doubles one time.
    I was fishing the Housatonic using shiners. A 4 pound Large Mouth inhaled this shiner and it went in it's mouth and passed right on out it's gill plate. At which time a Yellow perch grabbed the shiner and was hooked. It was dead weight hauling them on in and made me laugh when I saw it. Sorry no camera that day  but it is embedded in my minds eye for ever.
    ANyone have a fish tails or pictures lets see and or hear them.  I once caught a fish so darned big the picture weighed ten pounds!
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

I've got some fishing pics on the laptop.  My strangest moment was fishing off Ft Lauderdale a couple if years back.   I was pulling up a turned out to be a snapper, but the line kept jerking back and forth a lot more than it normally does.  I mentioned it to the boat hand, and then the line goes limp.  I finish bringing it up, and I'm left with the head, some back bone, and some skin from a decent red snapper.  Kingfish or some other fish caught him out in the open and tore him up.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

Man they don't call me Gar for nothing!

Comment

Great stories Matt and Joshua! Steve, every hear the saying "We gotta get a bigger Boat?"
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I kind of figured that Steve might have something to share.   
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

I could post pics all day. I have thousands.

Comment

My buddy Tom and I went fishing years ago (mid 80's) at this abandoned farm pond he knew of. So far out in the boonies, HAD to have 4 wheel drive to get there. We were in Tom's 78 Blazer complete with CB radio 10-4. Jug fished out of his jon boat all night. More big catfish than we could handle.
              Next morning, grabbing the last few jugs, one of them is just about under water, pull it in, heavy as hell. Big snapping turtle on the end. We decide to take it home and eat it. Pack everything up and wrap the turtle up in a fishing net laying in the back of his Blazer.
              We're tooling up the highway with all the windows down including the one in the tailgate. CB's on and we here a trucker saying something to the effect of "man somebody just lost a turtle out the back of their truck". Tom and I look at each other and then behind us and there's the turtle, upside down on it's shell spinning while it's still sliding down the highway, eventually off onto the shoulder. The turtle had gotten out of the net and climbed over the tailgate.
              We pulled off and ran back and grabbed the turtle, people honking the whole time. Turtle suffered some shell rash but was otherwise OK. We cleaned and ate it that night. Awful messy job and not much meat but pretty tasty. The catfish were very tasty too.
              Rick, East Central Missouri

Comment

I caught a 6lb striper off my dock in NJ. I caught it by snagging someone else's sinker and line that was still attached to the fish. Very unlucky fish.

Comment

Man Gar those are huge do you eat them?
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Posted by [mainejman]:

Dang that's a very large fish.I've watched river monsters where that guy couldn't  buy a fish that big......I've seen some gars in the Illinois river but they were guppies compared to this hog.They can't be any good to eat but it sure must be exciting to shoot one with a bow..Living on the Mississippi them boys eat everything in the river and most everything that don't make it across the road.But I can't say I ever ate gar.......mjm

Comment

I once went fishing for a wife and snagged one by accident. Boy was she a fighter!!! hmy:  I was glad I was practicing catch and release at the time. :rolf:  :rolf:
                      Gar, those would be an awesome to tangle with, well at least once.
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Man Gar those are huge do you eat them?

Posted by [GarScale]:

They are edible and some folks love them. We never waste one but I personally don't eat many. Most of my rod and reel fish are catch ,photo ,release.

Comment

Working...
                        X