Privatizing War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privatizing War

Excellent and revealing short video. We've always had what were and are still called "soldiers of fortune". Even have their own magazines. But the industry has exploded in recent years with the rise of private armies or PMC's(Private Military Companies)....
    Click here to subscribe to VICE: http://bit.ly/Subscribe-to-VICEVice takes an unprecedented look into the shadowy industry of Private Military Companies. Fo...

5 years in Iraq with the regular army for 120 G's or 2 years in Iraq with a private army for 400 G's? If you have great training and experience, private is a huge step up in $$$.
    Rhode Island

May be off topic, but i think the dung is gonna hit the fan. Hopefully later than sooner.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

They may be a necessary evil in the areas of conflict but there is a definite lack of accountability here that is troubling to many.
      I understand the gun laws and the peoples right to bear arms is a hot topic in the US so lets not get started on that hot topic here.
      I just wonder what the reaction would be to having private armies running around in the US would be???
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

One funny thing about the video is that the first scene is completely fake.  I grew up outside of Caracas and still go there pretty regularly.  There is no Barrio Tres Equis.  The neighborhood where they are filming is called Petare which isn't pretty, but is relatively safe (where they were at least).  In the bad neighborhoods they would have robbed the policemen with them and kidnapped the guys wearing bullet proof vests.  The military base they took that person to is Fuerte Tiuna. It's on a completely different side of town (actually closer to the airport.)  One of the signs in the road they picture is in a completely different area.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

So wrong and nough said by me. Don't get me started..........
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

2ndoldman wrote:

They may be a necessary evil in the areas of conflict but there is a definite lack of accountability here that is troubling to many.
            I understand the gun laws and the peoples right to bear arms is a hot topic in the US so lets not get started on that hot topic here.
            I just wonder what the reaction would be to having private armies running around in the US would be???
              Well, we do have small private armies patrolling the Mexican border at the moment.  Militias, not quite big enough to be an army. Lol.
            But heavily armed and running around the US! I have no idea what they do if and when they run into drug smugglers or refugees.
            Rhode Island

Comment

[QUOTE]CMD wrote:

Originally posted by 2ndoldman post=129227
                Well, we do have small private armies patrolling the Mexican border at the moment.  Militias, not quite big enough to be an army. Lol.
              But heavily armed and running around the US! I have no idea what they do if and when they run into drug smugglers or refugees.
                I've seen some pictures of those "militias" running around the border and from what I see they are pretty scary Charlie! Anyone with a little firearms knowledge and experience can see that their gear and hardware are a joke at best. Top that off with the fact that they have no authority, crappy tactics and being ill prepared my guess is they are going to do nothing but get themselves in a lot of trouble. It is a sign of the troubled times we are having with our current administration to say the least.
              Southern Connecticut

Comment

[QUOTE]cgode wrote:

[quote=CMD post=129280]
                Originally posted by 2ndoldman post=129227
                  I've seen some pictures of those "militias" running around the border and from what I see they are pretty scary Charlie! Anyone with a little firearms knowledge and experience can see that their gear and hardware are a joke at best. Top that off with the fact that they have no authority, crappy tactics and being ill prepared my guess is they are going to do nothing but get themselves in a lot of trouble. It is a sign of the troubled times we are having with our current administration to say the least.
                  Yeah, sounds like they're legends in their own minds....

Rhode Island

Comment

clovisoid wrote:

One funny thing about the video is that the first scene is completely fake.  I grew up outside of Caracas and still go there pretty regularly.  There is no Barrio Tres Equis.  The neighborhood where they are filming is called Petare which isn't pretty, but is relatively safe (where they were at least).  In the bad neighborhoods they would have robbed the policemen with them and kidnapped the guys wearing bullet proof vests.  The military base they took that person to is Fuerte Tiuna. It's on a completely different side of town (actually closer to the airport.)  One of the signs in the road they picture is in a completely different area.
                    Ah, so a little Reality TV, Caracas style. Hope they got their lines right. I'm sure the client was an actor as well; they would never have shown his face otherwise. That should have been the giveaway. Thanks, never would have known.....
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                  X