Anyone here ever been to Burning Man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here ever been to Burning Man?

Thinking of attending next year and was wondering if there are any Burning Man veterans here. Myself and at least one of my (adult) children plan on going. It'll be over 1800 miles one way so the journey will be as important to us as the destination. Anyone actually been? Thanks.
    Rick, East Central Missouri

Nope, but I wish. That has to be worth attending.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Haven't been yet, but looks like a memorable trip you've got planned!  B)   I'd consider taking some dust masks.
      http://totallycoolpix.com/2013/09/burning-man-2013/
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

A couple of friends and I ended up going in 1996 by accident.  It was in late August, and we drove down from Montana to go camping and rock collecting in the Blackrock desert before classes started and coincidentally ended up just running across it.  Internet wasn't common, and none of us had ever heard of it.  There were a couple thousand people there, and it was still just an open event.  I guess some people bought tickets to set up specific things, but most people just drove in.
        It was a scene out of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome with a lot of mud covered naked people living in piles of junk...   I remember a fat naked man living with a couple of hot naked girls in a pile of pianos.  Some person got run over in their tent, and another person died in motorcycle accident.  I didn't understand it then, and don't think I would now.  I didn't know they were going to burn the statue, and we took off after a day there.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Burners spend thousands preparing for the money-free event. But just as the desert community cannot fully escape capitalism, neither can capitalism remain untouched by the "gift economy."

"Now nearing 70,000 in size, the event sold out for the first time in 2011 and has continued to since. This year’s ticket sale—its biggest ever—lasted 44 minutes before selling out."
          “We don’t think the world can be Woodstock,” he says. “Who’d think the world could be a perpetual carnival? But we do think that the world could rediscover values that used to be automatically produced by culture but aren’t anymore because culture is subject to the commodification in our world. Everything is sold back to us, targeted to demographics. What we have to do is make progress in the quality of connection between people, not the quantity of consumption.”
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X