genealogy is awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genealogy is awesome!

anyone else interested in their family history? or have any of you traced yer roots at all? if so please share the story of your farthest back relative you could find or your first ancestors to america. this site helped alot, and its free to sign up and use! B) https://familysearch.org/
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

i just found these today, their my original ancestors on my mothers mothers,fathers line from England

Edward Dorr born 1649 (western england),immigrated to the U.S. in 1670, and died 1734 in roxbury,suffolk mass.

and his wife Elizabeth Hawley born 1653 in stratford conn. her parents Thomas (1615-1676)and Dorothy (1620-1698) Hawley both immigrated to the U.S. from England as well.they came from Horton,northumberland,England. pretty cool.

Comment

Me personally I care about the family members that I have met.  I really dont want to know that I am half ,,,,what ever. I have a grandfather That took me in as a teen Born in Rhode Island  and was a landscape painter The seascapes were second to none. he moved west and those landscapes are incredible and he taught me how to paint.  you can look him up on the web his name is James Emery Greer, And I am proud that I got to know him, it says he died in 1948 but it was 1998. a remarkable man soft gentle man. he yelled at me once and that was soft.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Comment

Figure I would give site a try. I'M mostly Irish but got 3-4 ish other nationalities. My sister has a big folder of what she traced back.
          Neat jay!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That is pretty cool Jay. To even be able to find nearly 300 year old gravestones of past family members and they are still legible. Have you done any research on the English side of the ocean?
            My mothers side is Stanton, there are a slew of them in America. I have managed to trace them back as far as Kentucky in 1790, but I lose it from there.
            Szybala, not a common name and they start showing up in America around 1908. I got lucky enough to come into contact with a woman in California years ago who is related and have traced the family back besides our 3 generations here another 4 generations in a village in Poland.
            It is alot like hunting artifacts!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I find this stuff fascinating and I’ve tracked my family a bit. There are some difficulties as you get further back, plus some conflicting dates… which is not unusual… often arising from confusion over whether dates are actual birth or registration of birth (the latter was rather lax in olden times), baptism, confirmation, census entries or whatever. Also, surnames didn’t come into common usage in Britain until the 14th Century and, even thereafter, were subject to many spelling variations within a family.
              Jay, I don’t know how much you’ve already discovered… but did you know the Hawley side of your family has noble connections in England dating back to 1642 when Francis Hawley raised a troop of horse at his own expense for the service of King Charles I and was created a baronet as "Baron Hawley" and later "Lord Hawley of  Donamore" for continuing loyalty. There's a coat of arms too. And the early Hawley arrivers in America were equally successful... did you know about the popular 17th Century phrase in Bridgeport, Connecticut: "as rich as the Hawleys"?
              I have more if you want it. Depends how much you already know.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I'm basically 75% Irish, 25% Lithuanian(mother's mom). My great great grandfather was Lt. Hugh Devine, British army, died of malaria in West Indies. Had a record searcher check military records in London, because Hugh died sometime after his son, Henry Plunkett Devine, was born in Dublin in 1845, and before his widow emigrated at the start of 1852. There is a military repository in London, and my great great grandfather has to be in it, he was an officer. Alas, she could not find his record, as I did not know the exact year of death. His father was an officer in the British army as well, name unknown. Both should be in the military records. That was my best chance of getting further back, because I don't know what parish my Irish Catholic ancestors were born in, and you really need that to be able to go back in Irish records. Lt. Hugh Devine's wife, the widow Bridget Devitt, owned a millinery shop and factory block in Dublin. Her merchant ship to the US sank without insurance and the family, Bridget and Great grandpa Henry Plunkett(named for father Hugh's commanding officer in the English Army, a Sir Henry Plunkett), arrived in America on Jan 2, 1852 and settled in New Milford, Ct. In New England since.
                I also have some Lithuanian-Pole ancestry, the largest minority in Lithuania, and a persecuted minority there. Some Poles have lived in Lithuania for hundreds of years, and my Great grandfather had a Polish surname. Oh, but you could never say that to my grandma!! "We're Lithuanian, not Polish!"
                All of my Irish ancestors, besides my actual surname, arrived from Ireland in the early 1850's as well. To Rhode Island, but one branch lived in Wheeling, WV first. The McGovern's were here by the early 1850's and Great great grandfather John McGovern died in the Civil War at Antietam(Sharpsburg) in 1862. Battery D, 1st RI Light Artillery. His name is on the Civil War Soldiers and Sailor's Monument in downtown Providence....
                Always wished I had ancestors here much earlier!
                Beautiful slate gravestones, Jay. There in great condition.  Is it the same Dorr family as that involved in Rhode Island's Dorr's Rebellion?

Rhode Island

Comment

thanks guys, and yes Charlie,as far as family history goes, were decendents of one of his brothers,i have the names and birth/death dates of all the Dorr men and their wifes going back to Edward,the one under the stone, and i have Edward's fathers name,Joseph Dorr,but i dont have any dates for him. but ( RODGER) i have both of Elizabeth Hawley's  parents, Thomas Hawley (b.1615 england d. 1676 roxbury Mass.) and Dorothy Harbottle (b.1620 horton,northumberland d.1698 sudbury Mass.) and i even got Thomas's father and mother, Samuel Hawley (b.1577 england d.1612 parwick,england) and Katherine Booth (b.1575 parwick,england BUT she died in 1691 in Conn. here in the U.S. so she may have even came over with her son and his wife.

Comment

on my mom's dads side its mostly all germans, (with a few french women,ooh la,la, :laugh: )who settled in New York,i traced them back to my first ancestor on that line who came over from germany, Julius J. Klein (b.1849 Neustadt Haardt,Bavaria Germany d.1919 Bronx,N.Y.) he was a Police Officer.and i got his parents names, Karl Adolph Klein and Caroline Wolf.  on my Fathers side were all a bunch of dirty Canucks,lol. my Pepe's father came down from Canada to Maine with his older brother and his parents,around 1900.my pepe was born there,they moved down here when he was around 9.My Meme's father was born in new hampshire but both his parents came down from Canada,the same with his wife.i traced both of their lines back as far as the early 1800's,all in Quebec.on my direct line from my Ppep's side i traced us as far back as my original ancestor who came over from France. Noel Langlois dit Boisverdum (or Noel Langlois St.Leonard-des-parcs) i have no clue what any of that means! :laugh:  listed as a courageous fisherman and boat "pilot" he and 2 of his sisters traveled over here with Samuel de Champlain http://nnyacgs.com/quebecwalk.html he is believed to have come over in 1633 he was born in St.Leonard-des-parcs,a.r. Alencon,ev,Sees Normandie France,date unknown. he married Francoise Garnier at Quebecon on july 25th 1634.theres was the 4th marriage in Canada.he settled in Beauport were he worked as an indentured servent to Robert Grifford for 3 yrs. till he was granted a title of land in Beauford on june 29 th 1637.Noel and Francoise had 10 children and are the ancestors of the all the Langlois and (my name) Langlais familys here in North America. i have most of their names, though im not sure exactly which im decended from. all of them were listed as Metis, which is the french term for "mixed blood" Noel and 2 of his sons were listed as carpenters and shipbuilders, and we're still carpenters,lol, Francoise Grenier or Garnier is listed as "of unknown origin" born in Hochelaga Montreal.so she was most likely a native women who converted to catholicism and recieved a catholic name so she could marry. she is listed in church records as being killed in an Iroquois Indian attack on Beauport  on october 31st 1665.and the Indian in me comes a little bit from them, my moms Grandmothers family,my Pepe's mother's family and im sure a little bit scattered here and there,its hard to trace based off of catholic church records cause they changed all the peoples names to french ones! and French Canadian men early on were encouraged to marry into the local native population,under strict church observations that is. crazy stuff! if your still reading this thanks fer having an interest in my ancestory,lol,maybe it will help encourage some of you's to look further into your own backgrounds! please, save your family historys! remember,it took all of them just to make one of YOU.

Comment

If you go back only about 1000 years, we all have common ancestors. Did you know all Europeans are descendants of Charlemagne??
                      Charlemagne, or 'Charles the Great', was the ruler of what is now France in the early Middle Ages.  He had 18 children by 10 different wives and concubines.

"A new study has confirmed that not only are all people of European ancestry related to Charlemagne, but we are all related to each other, with only going back 1000 years.
                      “A genetic survey concludes that all Europeans living today are related to the same set of ancestors who lived 1,000 years ago. And you wouldn’t have to go back much further to find that everyone in the world is related to each other.
                      “We find it remarkable because it’s counterintuitive to us,” Graham Coop, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California at Davis, told NBC News. “But it’s not totally unexpected, based on genetic analysis.”
                      The study:
                      A genomic survey of recent genealogical relatedness reveals the close ties of kinship and the impact of events across the past 3,000 years of European history.

Rhode Island

Comment

CMD wrote:

If you go back only about 1000 years, we all have common ancestors. Did you know all Europeans are descendants of Charlemagne??
                        Charlemagne, or 'Charles the Great', was the ruler of what is now France in the early Middle Ages.  He had 18 children by 10 different wives and concubines.

"A new study has confirmed that not only are all people of European ancestry related to Charlemagne, but we are all related to each other, with only going back 1000 years.
                        “A genetic survey concludes that all Europeans living today are related to the same set of ancestors who lived 1,000 years ago. And you wouldn’t have to go back much further to find that everyone in the world is related to each other.
                        “We find it remarkable because it’s counterintuitive to us,” Graham Coop, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California at Davis, told NBC News. “But it’s not totally unexpected, based on genetic analysis.”
                        The study:
                        A genomic survey of recent genealogical relatedness reveals the close ties of kinship and the impact of events across the past 3,000 years of European history.
                          Sarah Woodbury is talking out of her rear end on that first website:
                        "Charlemagne, or ‘Charles the Great’, was the ruler of what is now France in the early Middle Ages.  He had 18 children by 10 different wives and concubines. His children then went on to populate Europe, which is why everyone with European ancestry is descended from Charlemagne."
                        That's not only complete rubbish, but not even what the researchers are saying. There's a very big difference between having "common ancestors" (what the researchers are saying) and being "descended from" (what she distorts it to).
                        We share a common ancestor with chimpanzees, but we're not descended from them (we're cousins of a kind). That's the same kind of distortion that got Darwin into trouble when "On the Origin of Species..." was published. He never said we are descended from monkeys, but that's how his critics stirred up the trouble.
                        All of this was already known, but the real surprise (from that research) is how few generations you need to go back to find the genetic proof.
                        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks for that, Roger. I would have went to my grave. But what are they actually saying? Simply that we don't have to go back very far to have a common ancestor with every other European? Well, re-reading your comment tells me yes, that's is all they are saying.
                          Thanks, would never have known....
                          BTW, ever hear of a Sir Henry Plunkett? He was supposed to be my great great grandfather's commanding officer in the British army. I could swear, many years ago, maybe 30-40 years ago, I saw a National Geo issue that had a color photo of an English home of "Sir Henry Plunkett"(might be Plunket). I have never found a thing online, but assuming he was knighted as my family was told, I expected I would. I can't completely trust my family history, I wasn't there , but Lt. Hugh Devine's commanding officer was a Sir Henry Plunkett.  In the 1840's I believe. Or so our history says. And Lt. Hugh Devine apparently thought enough of Sir Henry to name his son Henry Plunkett Devine.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                          X