Decades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are my across the street neighbors from summers in mid 50's-early 60's
    Farmer Bill. Lived with his brother, Joe, who bayed at a full moon. No electricity or running water. Bill commenced to singing "In the little red school house" to us beginning the first day of summer vacation. My first point came from one of Bill's cornfields.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-01-02-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	15
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	207889

Bill the Riverman. He and Bill the farmer were the last of the river men, smoking herring and selling bait. Hermit. Didn't have much, but somebody still robbed and murdered him and dumped his body in the river one night. Got away with it too. I honestly don't think the town police gave a damn who killed "the hermit". Angers me to this day! His shack was poised to slide down a steep hill at any second, pretty much just like his porch here. Look close at the bottom of the wall on left and you can see the bottom bowing out to become part of the slide!! Wish I had a photo of the house from the street. Nobody could understand why his shack didn't just slide down the steep embankment right into the street! Always nerve wracking walking into Bill's shack :rolf: He entertained all the kids at the bridge every summer night.

Name:	image_2015-01-02-3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	207890

Name:	image_2015-01-02-4 [replaced].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	207891

Hands down, no contest, best days of my life. Childhood does have that advantage for some. Heaven to me when I pass on would be right back there to that River and those summers. I require nothing else....
    Rhode Island

Comment

Hey Ron,  I love that photo of you with that fish man, that's just a great photo, puts me in mind of Oppy Taylor and shows what being a young feller growing up in the good ol' US of A is all about! You also share remarkable similarities to my son.
      My nostalgia is probably like yesterday for you guys, as I grew up in the nineties.
      But it was not a suburban life for me at all.  I was raised poor and for many years fetched coal and split wood for the stove in the winter and took baths in a big wash tub with water heated off our stove. My favorite toy was a stick and I was never the cowboy,  always the Indian.  My grandparents spent months at a time in the woods were I often joined them hunting ginseng and every type of game to be had. Those were the best days of my life and hopefully  I can show my son all the lessons that can be learned by enjoying a simpler way of life.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Great thread Josh!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Time for the gals to sound off. I came of age in the 70's-- hot pants, mini skirts, shag haircuts, and some great tunes. My first car-- a 1966 cherry red Mustang! Loved that car-- V8 289. Got my first ticket in that car! Attended Virginia Tech-- go Hokies!

Child of the tides

Comment

:laugh: great post! if were all on the topic of embarrassing old photo's heres one of me.   taken back in 83' when i was 2 at a place called Stepping Stone Falls.

(notice the bad a$$ quebec t-shirt! :laugh: ) i just found this video someone made of the same spot i was at in the photo, notice the curved rock rim in the background.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94B9apNYSVA
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
            X