Tuppence or two wooden nickels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuppence or two wooden nickels

Anybody know how i can get a hold of either or both?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

like these?http://www.wooden-nickel.net/shop2
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Jay, so close, but page doesn't load.

Comment

Hi Greg... I collect "alternative currency" including tokens but I'm not familiar with the "tuppence" as a denomination for wooden tokens.
        Wooden nickel is the generic term for these things, even when the stated denomination isn't 5 cents (and it often isn't)... so do you mean a token valued at 10 cents? If so, there are always loads of these things on Ebay:
        Get the best deals on Wooden Nickels when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

Leading coin dealers generally don't have them for sale because prices are low and there's little profit to be made.

Addition: Sorry, Greg... I just checked my catalogues and all becomes clear. You're talking two different items and "tuppence" means standard circulation 2 cent piece, withdrawn in 1872/3 I presume?
        That latter item should be available from any dealer (or Ebay). Cheapest date would be 1864 with the motto in large lettering and starting at about $10 in fair condition, up to about $80 in uncirculated condition. There was also a 3 cent piece in silver or nickel alloy which has a similar price range for the most common type and dates.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Roger, I knew you'd come through!
          And yes, two different items.
          I build homes and was sitting at the table with a couple who's home we are working on now. I thought I had put my carpenter pencil back in my pocket but must have dropped it. Stopped by their house 2 days later and the wife hands me a present. Inside, my carpenter pencil sharpened and the sharpener he used along with a note, " fee for providing a sharpened pencil, 1 tuppence or 2 wooden nickels.
          So I'm on a quest.

Comment

:laugh: thats clever!

Comment

Greg,  I had no idea you was a fellow carpenter! I agree with one, pretty clever. I can imagine their faces when you pull a tuppence of wood nickel out :rolf: You get to meet a lot of nice folks being in this trade...
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Soooooooo :whistle:  ya going to pencil that one in? :dunno:  inch:  :rolf:
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

Greg,  I had no idea you was a fellow carpenter! I agree with one, pretty clever. I can imagine their faces when you pull a tuppence of wood nickel out :rolf: You get to meet a lot of nice folks being in this trade...
                    You too? You poor guy! Do get to meet some great folks and this couple have been a real joy. Just wish they could make up their mind!
                  Chase, definitely penciled in.  Lol

Comment

I know what you mean Greg, sometimes a great deal of patience is needed....lol. How's your back? My Dad did this for 37 years. He ignored ongoing back trouble (very stubborn) for almost  a year.  Finally got so down he couldn't walk. Had to have emergency back surgery and lost the feeling in his legs etc, it's been a hard year for him. Still has a twelve yr old and a one yr old.  Had no retirement or health insurance,  Self employed...  Picked up one ladder the wrong way. This trade will chew you up and spit you out. Have seen it several times. Sorry for getting off topic...
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

i did roofing for the last 121/2 yrs.  inch:  :crazy:  but now im doing carpentry too.wont go so far as to call myself a carpenter yet,  :laugh: , but im doin' carpentry.

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

I know what you mean Greg, sometimes a great deal of patience is needed....lol. How's your back? My Dad did this for 37 years. He ignored ongoing back trouble (very stubborn) for almost  a year.  Finally got so down he couldn't walk. Had to have emergency back surgery and lost the feeling in his legs etc, it's been a hard year for him. Still has a twelve yr old and a one yr old.  Had no retirement or health insurance,  Self employed...  Picked up one ladder the wrong way. This trade will chew you up and spit you out. Have seen it several times. Sorry for getting off topic...
                          my fathers been a carpenter almost all his life.his body is destroyed too.( the heavy drinkin' and smoking dont help either!) and my back and neck are destroyed too, its one'a the reasons i quit roofing. my Pepe' was a general contractor /carpenter/ cabinetmaker his whole life. he ended up starting a family business and my uncle and father worked with him full time. one of my uncles is a fireman but would work with them too.

Comment

One of my favorite memory's from working with my Dad, was doing some work for a prominent local Doctor.  The Doc made the remark "I can't believe how much this is going to cost", to Wich my Dad replied with a smile "Have you been to the Doctor lately?".....
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

One of my first jobs was in Cabinetry. That was the worst job I had. Not so much to working with , but that's the why we did it . The town was winter we had temperatures Below 50  degrees zero. We did what we had to with small heaters that made it only 20 below. During lunch going outside was cold but the sun felt good. With no wind it was great. To handle saws and laves and plainer, and saws was hard. Kinda of like walking up both ways to school with bare feet. But I did learn finishing. An old school mentor I learned. Then I learned a general contracting from another company and another I found a framing company. Not much I cant do but well???What I do best is yet to be seen, but That's not what I do for profession.

Comment

One of mine was doing work for a Publisher. We were laying in a parky floor  and installing Anderson windows modify of course. But he had this 59 Corvette that every three months would be but up on a car carrier and get serviced. It was the first time I saw the tarp come off a vehicle and the odometer read 53 miles. It never was driven. but a great job.

Comment

Working...
                              X