No announcement yet.

Hey y'all I need help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't tell you any more than been discussed or you already know, but have a great road trip!
    And remember, if your passing through here, our door is always open.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Butch, while you are heading west, stop by Bentonville AR for the Museum of Native American History, and also Crystal Bridges art museum. Both are free and well worth the stopover.

Comment

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Claycald a metor crater you say ? Well when you think of the name of the METEOR CRATER let me know cause I'm adding it to the list. Cliff we are stopping by the museum on the way back ! Hopefully we can sneak in and out without getting scalped by the curator !
          This trip is now up to seven weeks and growing ! Thank you for all the suggestions ! You truly can't see everything ! WOW !

Comment

Butch Wilson wrote:

Claycald a metor crater you say ? Well when you think of the name of the METEOR CRATER let me know cause I'm adding it to the list. Cliff we are stopping by the museum on the way back ! Hopefully we can sneak in and out without getting scalped by the curator !
            This trip is now up to seven weeks and growing ! Thank you for all the suggestions ! You truly can't see everything ! WOW !
              Meteor Crater is located in Northern Arizona about 35 miles east of Flagstaff, AZ and 20 miles west of Winslow Arizona.  From Interstate 40 you’ll take exit 233 and follow the signs.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I feel sorry for Ya Butch!! All this stuff to see and Ya only have 8 weeks?  hmy: Stay safe and may the Gas stay cheap!
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

[QUOTE]Ron Kelley wrote:

Originally posted by Butch Wilson post=150917
                  Meteor Crater is located in Northern Arizona about 35 miles east of Flagstaff, AZ and 20 miles west of Winslow Arizona.  From Interstate 40 you’ll take exit 233 and follow the signs.
                  Yep, and it's other name is Barringer Crater, after the guy who thought he could milk it as an iron mine.  Don't pick up any you might see on that property, though. You don't want to provide them with a reason to confiscate your motor home :S
                The meteorite that impacted some 50,000 years ago and created Meteor Crater is known as the Canyon Diablo meteorite. Here's a piece of it....

Rhode Island

Comment

Maybe it was mentioned already, but Glacier National Park in Montana (a nice easy drive up from Yellowstone or Tetons) is absolutely worth the visit.  Great wildlife viewing opportunities as well as mountains galore.  Tetons as someone mentioned is spectacular, much better in the summer than Yellowstone in my opinion.
                  You should also do some fun things from Olympia.  Rainier, Olympic, Cascades, even a day or two spent in Seattle is a neat experience (breakfast, lunch and dinner.)  From Seattle take the ferry over to one of the islands and see the killer whales, otters, sea lions, etc.
                  The US is blessed with some amazing national parks, one of my goals is to see all of them before I die.  Not sure I'll make it, but sitting in my office typing this, I can see pictures of my family in about 14 of the parks and all of them are better family memories than a visit to the Disney parks.
                  Enjoy!
                  Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

If your going to Montana you might also consider Glacier National park.Very beautiful....heck its Montana everything is cool there.Just take a deep breath and enjoy and the sky at night........mjm

Comment

[QUOTE]Claycald wrote:

Originally posted by rmartin post=150819
                      Hey Butch, how ya been? If you are in the Grand Canyon area, Canyon de Chelly, Petrified Forest, and Painted Desert are worth a visit. As Charlie mentioned Chaco is well worth the time but if it was one or the other, Mesa Verde should be the priority. Some people do I think, but I sure wouldn't pull a camper up the  Mesa!
                      X2....those are great places and there is the site where the meteor hit close to that area as well, worth an hour of your time to take a look at that huge crater in the ground....I believe one of the largest in the world, but I can't remember the name :dunno:
                      I think its called hole in the ground. :rolf:
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

[quote=Claycald post=150904]
                        Originally posted by rmartin post=150819
                        Hey Butch, how ya been? If you are in the Grand Canyon area, Canyon de Chelly, Petrified Forest, and Painted Desert are worth a visit. As Charlie mentioned Chaco is well worth the time but if it was one or the other, Mesa Verde should be the priority. Some people do I think, but I sure wouldn't pull a camper up the  Mesa!
                        X2....those are great places and there is the site where the meteor hit close to that area as well, worth an hour of your time to take a look at that huge crater in the ground....I believe one of the largest in the world, but I can't remember the name :dunno:
                        I think its called hole in the ground. :rolf:
                          Good idea, chase :rolf:  :rolf:  I'm sure Butch appreciates you sending him to a volcanic explosion crater.....

Hole-in-the-Ground is a large maar (volcanic explosion crater) in the Fort Rock Basin of Lake County, central Oregon, northeast of Crater Lake, near Oregon Route 31.[2]
                        It is about 1.0 mile (1,600 m) across, a little longer N-S than E-W.[2] Its floor is about 150 meters (490 ft) below the surrounding ground level and has a rim that rises 35 to 65 meters (110 to 210 ft) above, the highest point on the east side. The crater formed during the late Pleistocene, between 13,500 and 18,000 years ago, at which time the Fort Rock Basin was a lake and the location was near the shore. Basaltic magma intruding near the surface flashed ground water to steam, which blew out overlying rock and soil, along with some juvenile material. As material slid into the hole formed, it closed the vent and the process repeated, eventually forming the huge hole.[3] Blocks as large as 26 feet (8 m) in size were flung as far as 2.3 miles (3.7 km) from the crater.[4]
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Wow Butch,  lots of places and so little time.  One thing I can add as far as SD,  is that I was relatively disappointed with the Badlands.  They have their beauty,  but I wouldn't drive very far out of my way to see it.  Rushmore is Rushmore.   That's worth the drive.  Drive back out of the Black Hills through Spearfish Canyon,  if you are headed up to The Little Bighorn from here.  Not sure of your route,  but the Canyon is a beautiful drive,  and there is a good spot to camp down there if the timing is right.  Some sites are beautiful and are worth seeing,  and some sites grab you and hang on and don't let you leave.  That's kind of what the Bighorn battlefield did to me.
                          Lot's of emotion still there.  You can look down to the river and close your eyes and see the campsite full of teepees.   It's a special place.  Have a great trip.
                          South Dakota

Comment

Gawd this reads likes I have been there done that !!! but I would do it again in a heart beat.  And a few others for a road trip. But the one thing I know is that there is one attraction out there most important, is in Washington and its not the Pugent Sound, Nice!!!! . The Great sand dunes and Royal Gorge would take you out of a loop . Really not trying to lure you closer. :crazy:  :rolf:  I have enjoyed seeing you post again!
                            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I think a second or third trip will be in order ! Thank y'all so much for the info ! If I can just see half it will be an amazing trip !

Comment

Working...
                              X