Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an Era

The heck with Brian Williams. This guy will really be missed
    For an entire generation, “The Daily Show” with Mr. Stewart became the news and his departure represents the end of one of the most impressive and influential runs in talk show history.

"It’s hard to imagine a presidential election without Jon Stewart at “The Daily Show,” but we are going to have to get used to it now that the host of the landmark political comedy program of our era is leaving his desk before the first primary of 2016.
    In a stunning announcement during the taping of his show on Tuesday, Mr. Stewart announced that after more than 16 years of telling jokes at 11 p.m., he would do his final show before the end of this year, which represents the end of one of the most impressive and influential runs in talk-show history.
    Coming not long after Stephen Colbert concluded his virtuosic “Colbert Report,” it’s also the end of an era of incredibly sharp topical nightly television at Comedy Central. “The Daily Show’s” impact on late night was arguably as great as that of prestige HBO shows like “The Sopranos” and “The Wire” on television drama.
    Before Mr. Stewart, we didn’t expect much from nightly political humor. Late-night monologues were at best funny diversions, at worst toothless jabs pandering to the easiest stereotypes. Just as David Letterman raised the ambition of comedy on talk shows, Mr. Stewart proved that nightly topical humor could be hilarious while also being as incisive and passionate as the best news organizations.
    "“The Daily Show” didn’t just offer insightful, cutting analysis, clever parody and often hard-hitting interviews with major newsmakers. For an entire generation, it became the news, except this report could withstand the disruption of the Internet far better than the old media. If anything, the web only made “The Daily Show,” with its short segments, more essential. Every time a political scandal exploded or a candidate made headlines or a cable fight went viral, the first thought for many viewers was: I can’t wait to see what Jon Stewart will say about this."
    Rhode Island

Couldn't agree more Charlie. You wanted real news with in depth reporting and questioning, go to the Daily Show. Of course it has a twist all it's own you won't find anywhere else on tv, but it just made telling the Truth funny. Right between the eyes funny. Amazing the impact this show with John Stewart has had on our society, politics and people. Such an oddball satirical program coming from late night cable tv with such impact.
    I love political satire and have always found political cartoons amusing and often spot on with just one drawing and very few words saying a lot. This show is much like that.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I hadn't been watching him lately, but probably will more now until he leaves. Hated to see Colbert leave too. Those two guys back to back were my salve, my balm in the face of all the unfortunate news stories of the day. Sick of the BS from cable "news' networks of all political stripes? Let Jon tell it like it really is, laughing beats crying.

Jon Stewart is the Mark Twain of our era!
      Jon Stewart is rhe Will Rogers of our generation!
      How unusual and ironic that the leading deliverer of the nightly news is suspended for faking the news, the same day the leader of so-called "Fake news" announces he's leaving. People have seriously suggested the two guys should just trade spots!
      I think the Will Rogers of our generation walking off stage now is a punch to the collective psyche of much of this nation.  Or will be. Who's gonna make us laugh at all the bad, bad news? Not The Nightly News, that much is certain......
      Rhode Island

Comment

Bears repeating: on the same day America's leading news anchor is suspended for "faking the news", the King of "Fake News" announces his retirement from The Daily Show. One faked the news to embellish his own image; the other faked the news so somehow the truth itself would be more visible through all the BS slung to obscure that truth.  Really, who are we going to miss more?
        Rhode Island

Comment

As long as it isn't Nancy Grace I think we will be ok
          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

lukecreekwalker wrote:

As long as it isn't Nancy Grace I think we will be ok
              OMG, yes!!! :rolf:  :rolf:
            Child of the tides

Comment

Just a few of Jon Stewart's Best 'Daily Show' Moments. I love the way he dismantles Bill O'Reilly..

Jon Stewart Exposes Bill O'Reilly's Stupidity on Bill's show-please like share comment and subscribe!-also please sign up for our affiliate links to help sup...

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
              X