Whats in a name anyways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in a name anyways?

Sitting here on my lunch break...bored...flooded outside..haven't seen a rock bed in over 5 weeks now and going through chert withdrawal.  Anyways I was curious about Native American naming traditions so I started googling.  I like their naming traditions more than ours....and just for fun what would your Native American name be?  If this is offensive to anyone I really didn't mean anything by it.  Anyways good luck to all of you that can see ground and not water or ice!  Thanks

Montani Semper Liberi

My Nat. Am. names would be: as a baby- "crawls-like-a- turtle"; as a boy and young man- "runs-like-a-deer"; as a middle-aged man-"walks-like-a-crane"; as an old man-"walks-like-a-wounded buffalo".  And the last one is about where I am now. :laugh: LCW,  what would your name be? Maybe, "man-who-loves-rocks"? :rolf:

Comment

My given name is "Talks too Much"
      My nickname is "Never Shuts Up".
      Rhode Island

Comment

Well younger years would be Free spirit roaming, mid life would be Chasing beaver tail. and now it would be Sits to long walks like old man.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

chase wrote:

, mid life would be Chasing beaver tail.
            :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:

Comment

Chase I dont think anyone is ever gonna beat that mid-life name...that is awesome haha
            My name growing up would have to be Boy Who Thinks Too Much
            My current name:  Counts on Wrong Hand  :dunno:
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

lukecreekwalker wrote:

Chase I dont think anyone is ever gonna beat that mid-life name...that is awesome haha
                Yeah, Luke. Looks by his avatar, that he is still stuck with it. :rolf:

Comment

well i do have a primative name
                it was given to me when i was officialy  brought into the flint knapping clan by the chief of our flint knapping clan
                that name is SNEAKY GROUND BUZZARD
                and i am very proud of that name as it does reflect what and who i am

Comment

Well sixty years ago the kids called me:
                  Kelley Kelley with a buck skin belly
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Okay, When I was young I would be known as "Micro Flake" then as going through puberty it would be Minor Flake" Then as an adult it would be "Major Flake" As in my older years when that gets here I would imagine I could see "Flaked out"
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Jeez I wished my names were that nice.I went from sir farts a lot to ...cranky old fart in just a few short years...mjm

Comment

Well, heck, I'll pick out a serious and appropriate name for myself: "He who Lives in Deep Time."
                        So, why? Because I collect artifacts, representing the deep time of mankind. Because I collect fossils, representing the deep time of life on Earth. Because I collect meteorites. Representing the deep time of the solar system. It's all about deep time where I am concerned. So, you can call me "He who Lives in Deep Time". 15,000 years ago, 300 million years ago, (the fossils I find), and 4.5 billion years ago, the time represented by the meteorites I hold in my hand.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

I have been called "Crazy Hudson", and I assume they mean "crazy cool hudson" when they say it!
                              :rolf:
                          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

But i have to say Ron's is best!
                            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

cmd, the things you mentioned in that paragraph are
                              well lets just they are really "deep man"  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:

Comment

Working...
                              X