Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes for bbq...etc...what have ya got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipes for bbq...etc...what have ya got?

I just pickled up a couple jars of green tomatoes and I'm putting some hog on the smoker tomorrow and it got me thinking. Since it is bbq, smoker, grill season lets have some favorite recipes for anything. With all of you folks from the south I expect some killer recipes. Post em for side dishes as well, slaw, salads, sauces desserts...anything...break out some of those family/ Gramma's/Aunt's recipes. I'm always looking for new recipes as the garden is on the edge of what looks to be a bumper crop. Lets see what ya got for the oink, moo, cluck, gobble or whatever may be. Lookin forward 2it
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

This will be a fun post to watch.
    My only contribution to a great bbq is a healthy appetite and a knife and fork.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

My secret recipe is Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Fire,meat and time.
        A few times i did have to make my own sauce and it's no recipe worth a million but beats running to store if you have enough ingredients for a simple sauce.

Tomato sauce and or mustard as base of sauce
        molasses or honey
        Onion powder and garlic powder or seasoning salt
        You can even use water or apple juice to thin it.

I live right by a butcher shop that has lot's of flavored bratwurst and the best ones are the garlic pepper and apple cinnamon ones.

If smoking ribs or brisket wrapping the meat in aluminum foil can make it much easier and stay way more moist. At first i thought the meat wouldn't soak up the smoke flavor much but the smoke will find it's way in especially after moving the meat around sometimes the foil fails anyway later on before done but that's ok.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Ever tried the beer-butt method for chicken? Click image for larger version

Name:	Jamie Oliver.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	217439

Drink half the can and then shove it unceremoniously up the rear end of the chicken. You can use any kind of beer, or even cider as long as it's canned, not bottled). Stuff a bunch of herbs in the other end (sage, thyme, tarragon, rosemary or whatever) and a lemon cut in half if you like. Then balance the chicken on the barbecue and close the lid so it roasts on the outside, but beer-steams from the inside. You need medium heat (roughly 400 F if your barbecue has a thermometer). Only downside is that it takes around 1 ½ hours for a decent sized bird and you need to rearrange the coals so the main heat is around the outside of the chicken, not directly underneath it. The upside is that it comes out super succulent and falls off the bone… plus, you don’t really need to give it any attention while it’s cooking.

Stab it with a fork in the area where the leg joins the body to make sure the juices run clear and let it rest off the heat before you serve up.

You can rub the chicken first with a paste made from 3 tablespoons of olive oil with ground spices: 1 heaped teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 level teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 level teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 heaped teaspoon brown sugar, 1 level teaspoon mild chilli powder, plus sea salt and black pepper to taste.

(Recipe and picture from Jamie Oliver’s website).
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Ah yes beer can violated chicken. When my daughter was a little girl she thought that was the funniest thing. It comes out sensational!!! . Problem with a half can of beer is I always felt bad leaving the other half all alone... sooo,,...nah seriously thanks guys for your input. Josh I am smoking a shoulder right now and I am making my own sauce also. I usually do, its easy and ya usually have all the parts...

Comment

Here's a dessert idea you might like.

Trim the top leaves off a whole pineapple and cut it into four pieces lengthwise so you have four wedge-shaped “boats”. Then cut the woody centre core out of each wedge and discard it. Then slide a sharp knife below the flesh to cut it away from the skin… but leave the skin in place. Then cut crosswise so the flesh is in chunks about half an inch thick, sitting on the skin. Run a barbecue skewer (bamboo or steel) through the chunks from stem to stern on each boat to hold them together.

Mix 2 tablespoons of dark muscovado sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger and 3 tablespoons of dark rum with 2 tablespoons of melted butter and brush it over the pineapple chunks. If there’s any left over, drizzle it over as a glaze during cooking and don't worry too much that it catches fire (but be careful). Needs about 10 minutes on a hot barbecue.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That sounds awesome. I have grilled pineapple slices before for terriyaki burgers. I will try that one it sounds great. I gotta google that dark muscovado sugar though...

Comment

Originally posted by BabaORiley View Post
                  That sounds awesome. I have grilled pineapple slices before for terriyaki burgers. I will try that one it sounds great. I gotta google that dark muscovado sugar though...
                  Muscovado is unrefined cane sugar with a high molasses content. It's a common cookery ingredient over here, but if you can't find it then you could probably use molasses instead. Brown sugar (the kind you get with your coffee) is usually just semi-refined white sugar with some added caramel to make it brown and doesn't have the same rich flavour.

Comment

Baba, I have had BBQ all over the states NC with the vinegar KC rich and thick, Tenn is as good. TX where it was served on the side. I also had a great taste in Colorado of Cyan pepper. But the best I have ever had was a pig on a spit slow roasted over coals. Mouth just waters when I think about it.
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I use an offset smoker and burn wild cherry. I brine chicken quarters first thing in the morning early enough for atleast a three to four hour soak. then I will start my fire in the fire box and get a good bed going. after about an hour or so of banking fire I return to kitchen and start taking tissue from underside of baby back ribs. I rub ribs down with mustard and then coat with dry rub. By now smoker is rolling on and I damper it to run bout 225 to 250. I place ribs bone side down on side away from fire box unwrapped. After one hour I spray em down with fruit juice, any will work. Some use Apple, I make my own concoction. Then I let em have one more our of smoke and then wrap in heavy duty foil. When I set a rack on foil I coat with squeeze butter, coat in Brown sugar, drizzle a lil honey, spray with juice, sprinkle with a touch of pepper flakes, and wrap up tight. At the same time I put my wrapped ribs on I put my chicken quarters on the fire box side of smoker. This side runs hotter and is better for chicken. After one hour of open smoke on chicken I take em out, place two quarters on foil, mop with my chicken concoction, wrap em up and cook em for one more hour wrapped. Now this is why I write all my times down as I go cause in this amount of time I can put down alot of beer. If done as planned ribs have had two hours of smoke, two hours wrapped. The chicken has had one hour of smoke and one hour wrapped. At this time I opened up all the foils and slather everything in bbq sauce and open smoke for one more hour. This will carmelize the sauce and set the ribs abit. The rib method is 2-2-1, the chicken is 1-1-1. I usely cook 5 to ten racks of ribs and twenty to thirty pounds of chicken. I haven't heard a complaint yet, just alot of smacking and finger licking. i have used an electric smoker for small amount the same way and also with small offset charcoal cooker. I hope this helps, I have cooked some of the best meat I have ever eat in the last year or so with this method. If you try it let me know.

Comment

Thanks Kurt. I will definitely reference your post in the future.

Comment

• p kurt
                          p kurt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are welcome, I do my posts with a phone and it took a good bit for me to peck out all of that. I hope you try it and it works out for ya.

What is your chicken concoction if ya don't mind?

Comment

• p kurt
                          p kurt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          BRINE, one gallon water,one cup kosher salt, one cup Brown sugar, one cup molases or honey, half cup dry rub. Mix together and put quarters in freezer bag, 4 or 5 depending on size, and cover with brine. Push out air seal up and let em sit in fridge atleast three hours. Should be enough brine for about twenty pounds of chicken.
                          MOP SAUCE. 8oz of vegetable oil, 8oz of cider vinegar, 16oz of water, half cup dry rub, TBS of worchestershire sauce, TBS soy sauce. I mop chicken just before I wrap em up, don't over do just enough to get em wet. For twenty pounds or less you can cut in half and should be enough, I also mop my ribs with this instead of fruit juice from time to time.

Got it Kurt. I will use it. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Fired up my smoker Saturday for a birthday and cubs ballgame party. Smoked thirty pounds of quarters which was about 45 descent sized quarters. Used my recipe from previous post. The pic of smoker was me getting it fired up and heated. When I am cooking the smoke is settled and alot less. The cost of me cooking was around forty bucks.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                            2ndoldman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That looks yummy. But don't stand down wind.
                        Working...
                        X