Anyone live stream TV from PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone live stream TV from PC?

I have netflix and do not watch cable TV we have it but I just could care less for it. I have satelite radio which has CNN and Fox so I get current events news there and in the morning paper. Anyone ever watch the Smithsonian Channel? I am wondering if it is free? I used to use my BluRay device to lve stream from my PC to the big screen. At Christmas I was given a ROKU and Smithsonian Channel is in the line u but when I click a documentary all it does is play a trailer. I googled Smithsonian channel and it does not make clear if it is a pay for channel???

Youtube has some great documentaries which are free through my ROKU and my BluRay, netflix is $8.99 a month and that covers two TV's as long as each has a bluray connected. Roku would need the special Roku player box that attaches to the television via HDMI cable on each set. Not going there, Not sure how much these wireless waves effect my brain LOL. Roku has several devices available the one I received is the Premier. It differs from the small plug in that is similar to the Chromecast device.
    Last edited by Hoss; 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Wish I could help, but can't even help myself, lol. Was looking at ROKU, and want to replace expensive cable with it, but not sure I would know how to go about it. Are you saying you cannot use ROKU without also having BlueRay as well? Salesman told us we should just get the stick, the premier is for the newest types of TV's. Said all we needed was the stick to get ROKU. Hmm, are you saying you can't use Netflix without both ROKU and BlueRay?
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are just looking to do Netflix or Youtube all you need is an internet connection with WIFI, A computer, tablet or smart phone and Roku or chormecast stick. I think the Chromecast is better they do not ask for a credit card on file. Roku asks for that even if you are only casting Youtube and Crackle moovies and videos. You can project youtube videos right to your TV. These little sticks plug into HDMI ports on your TV and they are also plugged into 120 v wall outlet. They are very simple to hook up and well worth the 25 to 30 bucks. Your TV has to have an HDMI prot for thes to work. Sending you a PM

Hey guys - Sorry Hoss - I can't be of any help. Like many I signed onto a broadband in our area cause it was way cheaper than the usual Direct or Dish. Now the broadband is right up there with the other cable providers. Not sure what my options are at this point. I don't even know if there is such a thing as standard antenna reception and even if there is, it'll be a crap shoot here in the mountains. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Sorry but I can't provide any help, but I am interested in what you find out. It would help me as well to better navigate thru this rapidly changing internet technology.

Comment

Smithsonian channel is free.
        As long as you have wireless internet you can have a Roku or other device, Apple, Google. One time cost to buy the Roku stick plugged into the TV.
        We used to have two satellites, one for TV ( Dish ) one for internet. We have now an antenna and are hooked up to a wireless internet that uses line of site radio waves, $57 a month. Netflix $8, Hulu $8 a month. Antenna, give or take 20 local channels. We used to pay $175 a month ! Always hated cable too, 125 channels of nothing worth watching, with these you can watch what you want when you want, kinda cool.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I like the Smithsonian channel. I have cable and get it for free along with on demand videos. With a line up full of reality tv shows "discovery, history, rock, natgeo." The Smithsonian channel does occasionally have some good programs.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

I wonder why the trailers only played for me. Netflix works well with my Roku so does youtube.

Prior to this new gift from my wife I had the roku stick. It works fine. I did not like that they wanted to keep a credit card on file. You can watch Crackle free on roku. Smithsonian according to others is free. I watched but it only showed trailers perhaps I just set it wrong. LOL Basically you set the stick up via a tablet or smart phone the device then acts as a remote for the roku stick. Chrome cats works in a similar way but chromecast is free. You can cast youtube right onto your tv set from a PC Tablet or SMart Phone as long as you have an internet connection you can cast your show from your device right onto your television. .

Netflix has a play list you can watch anything in the line up any time you want. It is a standard on blu ray players. One draw back with it is some movies are in other languages. "I hate subtitles!" LOL The titles are on the list with netflix line up in English. So you click and next thing you know it is in french or Spanish or Chinese disappointing. Netflix has literally thousands of TV shows and Movies. You can power watch entire seasons or just watch one show a day.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I use SlingTV. The basic $25 subscription gives you quite a few channels. They also have side packages that you can add. I pay $40 a month for the basic plus three pay packages and I love it. Although, sling does not have the Smithsonian channel.

Comment

Still doing Netflix here. I looked into Sling but my trouble with their package is pricing. They charge and it is only good for one TV. Netflix three tv's 11.00 a month. I can watch what I want and the wife can watch what she wants. SLing does have a great line up of shows though. I was just turned off by the fact that it will only work on one set at a time.

Comment

By the way there is a show running on Netflix right now called Frontier it has to do with early It is listed as a Historical Drama. The show is pretty good although it received poor ratings they are ready to do a second season. Here is the trailer. The setting is 18th century Canada and the French English Scottish and Irish slugging it out for the fur trade. No matter what the critics said I still liked it very much. If anyone watched the game of Throne the main character in this is the guy who played Khal Drogo [YT]2J5wTsYAh94[/YT]

Another good one that just came out is called Iron Fists Based on a Marvel Comic book character and loaded with action. here is the trailer for Iron Fist. [YT]f9OKL5no-S0[/YT]
                  Last edited by Hoss; 03-26-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Smithsonian is free with my cable/internet provider. They also offer the music channels, which I play when I write, read or nap. Watch mostly CNN & PBS for news, BBC shows, & nature & science shows & specials. Don't have Netflix because they track viewing preferences. I like YouTube.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                    X