I am down but not out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am down but not out.

As most of you may know my car went on the fritz last week.
    Well I already had an appointment to have the oil changed before heading up to Micheal's place on Arrow Lakes.
    Before the appointment I hit the bank and made a combined deposit of the clad and recycles.
    This was my first bank run this year and my travel costs were totally covered.
    $414 was the recycle money. The rest was coins and cash I had from selling some pennies. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	249238
    I had already loaded a bunch of lead into the car to haul up there for sale.
    Hey at $25 each it is worth hauling them up there. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	249239
    Wednesday came and I drove the car into the shop.
    Only to find out that it was not a thermostat problem.
    My old 1999 Honda Accord had a cracked cylinder head.
    The shop sourced out a replacement engine for me.
    $1500 for an engine that only had 23,600 miles on it.
    But with all of the labour and taxes plus replacing the timing belt and a few other things,
    the repair bill would have come to around $4600.00
    So it is time to blow taps on the old beast and find a new one.
    I am going to do something here that I normally don't do.
    I am going to show how I get the most out of my pictures.
    On Monday I did manage to get down to a close by park for a quick hunt.
    This is all that I manage to find. 10 pennies, a nickel in horrible condition and some recyclables.
    This picture was taken with my cellphone just before dusk.
    How many times have we all seen pictures like this and have been asked to identify the items in then. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	249240
    Modern cameras and cellphones take incredible pictures these days but we have to help them a little bit.
    You can do all sorts of things on your cellphone.
    Like adjust the colour, tone, clarity and such. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	30
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	249241 I like to just crop the picture on my phone. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	41
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	249242 Then email it to myself.
    The pictures are much clearer on my phone.
    I could just post them with my phone.
    However what I do is take several pictures of the item and email them all to myself so that I can pick and chose which one I want to put in the post.
    As well it is much easier to compose the story behind the finds on the keyboard as opposed to using the phone.
    For some reason my computer does not like to save the pictures with the same clarity that I can see on the phone.

These are the adjustments that I can fiddle with. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	249243 Here is that cropped picture as it first looks like on the computer. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	249244 And after making some adjustments. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	249245
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

I guess that the whole reason why I am doing this post is that recently Greg posted that he could only upload one picture in his most recent try at making a post.
    I figured that since I post so many pictures I might be able to explain my process.
    Once you click on the paperclip icon to the right of the screen beside the A you will see a box open up on the lower right that says Upload Attachments.
    You can upload up to 8 pictures per post via this method and insert them into your post where ever you like so that the story will flow nicely.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture_LI.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	249247

Greg did manage to finally upload 6 picture and make a post.
    However this is what most of the posts look like on this forum. Click image for larger version  Name:	9.PNG Views:	1 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	249248

He also complained about the pictures being sideways.
    I recommended to him that he just copy them back to his computer and make the necessary adjustment and then re upload them.
    What you need to remember if you are going to do this is actually click on each picture twice to show it in its largest format before copying them back to your computer.
    That way you have the large format picture to work with.
    Make sure that when you are inserting the pictures that you chose Fullsize.
    These are Greg's pictures as they should be seen.
    And by the way Greg, bravo my friend you made some great saves here. Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	249249
    Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	178.8 KB ID:	249250
    Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	249251
    Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	249252
    Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.0 KB ID:	249253
    Click image for larger version  Name:	15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	185.5 KB ID:	249254

I hope that this helps some of you.
    Good luck and happy hunting.
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 05-05-2017, 02:21 AM.
    Bruce

Comment

Not a bad price on that Engine but the total, Man! Do You melt that lead? Probably wouldn't wan't the smoke too close, Buddy but I'm sure You know what Your doing. Photo improvement/enhancement, nice. Well hopefully The Car is ready for another 100,000.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          You are welcome Greg.

I went through the same thing on my Tahoe Bruce. Just new heads but nonetheless I got nailed for about $3000.00. Those look like cannonballs for downriggers. I never really checked my camera for all those options. I will look.
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          They are indeed downrigger weights.

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
        Not a bad price on that Engine but the total, Man! Do You melt that lead? Probably wouldn't wan't the smoke too close, Buddy but I'm sure You know what Your doing. Photo improvement/enhancement, nice. Well hopefully The Car is ready for another 100,000.
        Josh we do definitely take care when melting lead. This is a post I did last year about the process. http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/o...i-ve-got-balls
        As you can see all of the work is done outside so there is plenty of fresh moving air.
        I left a bunch of those shown in this post up there so I guess that in total I have near 35 12lb balls ready for sale and I also have this to make into mold as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_075440.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	249275
        Bruce

Comment

What are the 12lb balls of lead used for?
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            They are downrigger weights for fishing.
            The fishing supply shops get over $35 each for them but will only pay $17.
            So I sell them privately for $25 each.

Man, y'all must fish real deep and for some huge fish. I figure if I'm using a 16oz weight I'm fishing for monsters....I don't even think I have anything that would real in a 12lb lead bowling ball.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            They use them for salmon fishing here in the winter. The fish are deeper in the summer and then they use 14 and 16 pound balls.
        Working...
        X