I received a unique gift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received a unique gift.

Right off the bat some of you will ask what a gift has to do with metal detecting.
    Especially when you see the paint covered plastic spoon that was in the box. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.gif
Views:	75
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	249776
    Well this all started back last summer when Patrick aka Romeo-1 announced his desire to get something with the Haida designs on it.
    Initially he was looking for a ring that he could wear.
    "Something I will likely never find on the east coast. Looking for a large Haida ring, size 9-11 and am willing to trade something significant to make it worth your while. PM me...thanks!"

I did not have one but when I found the kayak paddle he jumped on the chance to have it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20161109_150750.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	249778
    Then earlier this year I found a copper bracelet. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	249779 And I immediately thought that his wife might like it.
    Well she did and then she helped him pick out something uniquely East Coast to send to me in return.
    At this point I am going to relay the PMs back and forth between us.

Hey Bruce...she sure does...as do I...lol. Cora helped me pick out something to send you...uniquely Nova Scotia! Hope you like it! I was flip flopping on what to send. It was between two unique items and I finally decided on what I consider the one that is most uniquely Nova Scotia and it has a topical slant right now...you may be confused when you get it so send me a pm and I will answer any questions you may have! Cheers. Patrick

Now I am really curious.

Hsha...your first thought may be WTF???

You got it Patrick W T F
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4.gif
Views:	42
Size:	957 Bytes
ID:	249780
    If this is east coast art Click image for larger version

Name:	1.gif
Views:	51
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	249777Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	249781Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	249782
    I am glad that I am on the right coast. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.gif
Views:	50
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	249783

Oh if you only knew what you were holding in your hand...

Yah yah yah.
    Out with it.
    My curiosity is killing me.

That is in fact a spoon that was used by artist Maud Lewis! If you are unfamiliar with Maud Lewis (and I doubt you are) she was a folk artist who suffered crippling arthritis but painted the most wonderful scenes of life outside her window. She would sell her paintings on the side of the road for upwards of $2 back in the 1950s and 60s. One of her paintings found in an Ontario thrift shop is currently at action and bidding has topped $125,000 but they typically sell for $12,000-$20,000 at auction. She and her husband lived in a tiny house outside of Digby, NS where she made and sold her paintings. That house is now in the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia on permanent display. Her paintings are in galleries around the world. Where her house stood in Digby is a small park with an interpretive version of her house which is really just being used to store lawn care equipment. One day a couple years ago I went exploring in the wooded area behind her house and the first thing I found was an invalid’s cup just sitting on the ground. It’s white baked enamel and is a treasure in and of itself considering where it came from and who would have used it. I’m actually considering donating that to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. I went a little deeper into the woods and eventually found the trash pit. It was typical for people to have a trash pit at that time so I started digging around. Very soon I started finding these plastic spoons with layers upon layers of paint. I also found several sardine cans with layers and layers of paints from years of use. My favorite find was an actual paint brush which would have been used by Maud. I took as much as I could home and cleaned and displayed what I could. I have a framed display of items (mostly spoons) hanging on my wall which a collector recently offered me $1500 for…I declined. That spoon you hold in your hand has been held by me and Maud Lewis…that’s it!

Here’s some links to Maud Lewis that you may be interested in…

In this clip from 1965, watch celebrated Canadian folk artist Maud Lewis at work. Lewis died just five years after this was shot but she remains one of Canad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Q4NrdthUU[/b]
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Great story and pictures, Ill have to research her paintings!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Her story is one that inspires a person to overcome obstacles.

Cool story and neat gift for sure
    South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Gary, when I first saw it it did not inspire any thoughts of thanks I have to be honest. However once he told me the story behind it I am very happy to have it.

Thanks Bruce!
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome my friend.

Amazing just amazing........you are rich in so many ways Bruce.....and i think it all starts from Your heart. You really do have my admiration. Good Luck My Friend
    If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sharing and caring is the only way to live your life in my opinion Lucas.

Wow that is really great Bruce, Patrick and Wife!!!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom. I appreciate you looking at some of my old posts.
Working...
X