Meteor Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteor Strike

This Nova episode aired 5/24/17. I can't recommend it highly enough. The story of the biggest asteroid impact on Earth since the 1908 Tunguska, Siberia event, which completely flattened millions of trees. This was the Chelyabinsk meteor event, which airburst over the city of the same name, which is also located in Siberia, in Feb., 2013. If not for the shallow angle of entry, over 1 million people would have died. As it is, the shock wave did considerable damage, injured more then 1000 people, mostly with flying glass, and the explosion of this asteroid yielded energy greater then our largest hydrogen bomb. The footage here is fantastic. The Russians are big fans of car cams, and many angles were captured, making the event a field day for scientists. The low frequency sound wave from this once in a century event circled the Earth for a full 24 hours. In effect, the Earth actually rang for 24 hours following this amazing air burst. It was a reminder that there is a bigger one out there somewhere, with our planet's name on it. Superb documentary on the biggest such event in our lifetime.

Edit, 9-21-21. The Nova episode is no longer available to view free. Here is another documentary on the Chelyabinsk fall:

Last edited by CMD; 09-21-2021, 10:23 PM.
    Rhode Island

Although most of the incoming meteor vaporized high in the atmosphere, enough of the impactor survived to rain down thousands of small fragments in the form of fusion crusted individual meteorites. The Nova episode shows how these were found and collected in the completely snow covered landscape. Here are two examples of fully crusted individual meteorites from the Chelyabinsk meteorite. These were a gift from a friend and fellow meteorite enthusiast.

Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for sharing Charlie. I will definitely watch this.
      South Dakota

Comment

Wow! Those are some special meteorites!

I remember this happening in the headlines, but I had no idea about the massive airburst 3 minutes later. I never realized it was that large which is reallay scary. The ones that could makes us extinct get all the attention but the ones that can go unnoticed and wipe out states are the ones that are worrisome to me. Ive seen two in my life that were larger than average, meaning they went across the entire sky breaking up into multiple pieces as they went. Its a pretty incredible site!
        Thanks for sharing the link, I can't wait to finish watching it all.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I remember this happening in the headlines, but I had no idea about the massive airburst 3 minutes later. I never realized it was that large which is reallay scary. The ones that could makes us extinct get all the attention but the ones that can go unnoticed and wipe out states are the ones that are worrisome to me. Ive seen two in my life that were larger than average, meaning they went across the entire sky breaking up into multiple pieces as they went. Its a pretty incredible site!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey wow .i saw that show on nova.Awesome.Those pieces you have are seriously cool. My buddy found a potato size rock here in connecticut that looks similar.Im having him stop by on his way to work to check out your pics . thanks for sharjn them
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post

Here's a short video compilation of the air burst. I think I would have jumped out of my shorts on the first one here, lol....

This footage from multiple locations thru the Chelyabinsk city suddenly hit by the shockwave of the last Friday meteorite can illustrate how really it would ...

Rhode Island

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                The power of displaced air is incredible!

What a privilege it is to actually have a fragment of the meteorite.
              Thank you for reminding me of this video.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                It was a once in a century event. I bought my first piece, only 1.7gm., from a resident of a village outside Chelyabinsk. He even made a video of him finding it buried in the snow. At the time, I had decided I wanted to buy one from a local resident, rather then a meteorite dealer.

I've always been fascinated by meteorites! I have a fragment of one that I purchased. To me, its so neat to think that the things travel so far to reach the earth. It's always been a dream of mine to find one.
              If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm with you. Just amazing to hold something like that in your hand. If you live in California, or Nevada, there's your best bet for finding one in the states. On the dry lake beds. The Gold Basin area of Az. is another good bet. I've never found one, nor has one ever been found in RI.
            Working...
            X