Once a year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once a year!

We got this cactus of all places..a rummage sale 8 or 9 years ago. Last year it bloomed for the 1st time. It takes only a couple days for the flower stalks to pop out. 1st picture at 8:15 tonite, flowers fully opened at 9 oclock! Same as last year, blooms once at night flowers will be pretty much gone by 9 in the morning.

wow!  It blooms once (for one day) then gone till next year?  That's a rare event you don't want to miss.  Neat info.

Comment

Nice pics. I used to have many cacti, but only had one night bloomer. I think yours is a type of Cereus cactus which is known for that. It is really exciting to get good shots of this, it is a very nice speciman.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

:woohoo: You must be doing something right with that cactus plant.  Beautiful, very attractive, flowers!  Are they scented?  Doesn't matter...they're pretty!  Just want to stick my nose up to the monitor and take a whiff!!!

Comment

Wow, that's beautiful!  Do they smell good?  Night bloomers are most often pollinated by moths. 
          We have several night blooming plants in FL.  This one is an Epiphyllum, often confused with Cereus, which looks VERY similar.  But Epi's and Cereus' don't have thorns....and both won't take freezing temps.  They flower several times per year and we often miss it because we went to bed, LOL. They are also gone by morning.  They grow like crazy from cuttings. EXTREMELY sweet smelling
            Before dark

After Dark

Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

The flower is similar. Yup, they do smell nice. We put it outside in mid June and leave it out till it gets to the upper 40s at night then bring it in for the winter. It sprouts "Babys" and we use tin foil to grab them and replant. This "Momma" has had about 30-40 babys!

Comment

Mark - Awesome pics.  Those flowers are huge.  I don't have much luck with flowers unless we just plant em and leave em alone.  If I have to water or fertilize - they might as well be dead cause I'll kill em fore its over.  Do the smaller cacti have smaller flowers or do they have to be a certain age to bloom. ---Chuck
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Chuck! Glad to see ya back!

Comment

Yeah hey Chuck good to see ya!
                  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer: there three cheers for Chuck!
                  Almost forgot nice flours or is that flowers. and thats a  :laugh:
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X