X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effigy Catapault (not)!

This seemed to be the most appropriate area to post. :whistle:
    I found a catapault. It’s a splendid example :dry: :unsure: :

It definitely has catapaultian features, like the characteristic Y shape and the thick handle, so it’s certainly not just an old piece of a branch. Looks to be made of oak. I know that’s not a typical material. Sycamore would be more usual according to my book “Catapaults of Britain: An Illustrated Guide”, but it definitely looks like a catapault and the unusual material makes it even rarer. There were lots of small round stones nearby, which must be the ammunition that was used with it.
    I found it at a construction site where they are building a new apartment block. The ‘dozers have been churning up the soil, so I’m finding artefacts from all periods, but this could have come from at least four feet under the current surface.
    I also found a metal staple that looks like it might be from an old Superman comic book. I know the Americans used staples just like this in the 1950’s and 1960’s and comic books were widely imported into the UK from the States during that period. Also found some fibrous material that might be parts of an old skipping rope. I think I may have found a pea-shooter too. I’ll upload some pics when I get a chance but my camera’s not very good.
    So, judging by the associated finds, we’re definitely talking pre-Gamestation and probaby even pre-iPodian. I would say Hop-Scotch period, probably. Some of the locals told me there used to be a school on that site, but they tore it down years ago. I think where I’m searching might have been the playground.
    Yes, I know the ends are not “sawn” as such, the bark is still present, there are no notches for the elastic sling, there’s no evidence of wear on the handle and it doesn’t have any clear signs of use, but it has so many features that you would find on a catapault that it just has to be that. Maybe it’s just unfinished, or the maker found it wasn’t quite straight enough and discarded it. I’ve actually found several just like it, so that can’t just be a coincidence.
    Since oak branches can be quite brittle, this might be a catapault effigy. Never intended to be used as a catapault, but symbolising the aggression that a catapault represents and used in some kind of ritual.
    It also looks very like the one they have in the British Museum. Apart from the lack of notches for the elastic and the fact that mine is quite a lot thinner. I sent some pictures to their catapault expert and he said although the balance of probability was that it was unlikely to be a catapault, the pictures were too small and too poorly focussed to give a proper opinion. He didn’t specifically rule out an effigy, so I guess that’s not really his field of expertise. Or maybe he’s never seen another one like it, which would make it really rare.
    In any case, I am well aware of the conspiracy among archaeologists to suppress effigy artefacts like this because they go against the conventional view that catapaults were only made from seasoned sycamore wood and only used as light weaponry by unruly teenagers in the Rolling Stones era.
    I welcome your expert views, but please don’t tell me it’s not a catapault because I know that it is. Since I now have several, this one’s for sale if anyone cares to make me an offer. Or trade me a Clovis for it.
    Roger :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be a LOT older. Irony Age???
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Ummmm...that looks like the slingshot my husband made for my grandson a couple of years ago.  It has the same shape.  Didn't they also use a similarly shaped piece to find water?  I think I saw something to that effect on Gunsmoke...or Daniel Boone.  Sturdy looking.  What the heck?  Did you make that yesterday? 
      You asked for expert opinions.  Guess you didn't get one here! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
      Come on, Roger.  What do you know about it?

Comment

Roger, Surly looks like the catapult effigies found here in the USA, only much older. Great piece! Keep up the hunt! Gotta Love It! Paul

Comment

painshill wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be a LOT older. Irony Age???
            Possibly brought from Slingapore.

Comment

That could be early ipadian I heard of these in some arcane narrative from middle earth!
            Uploading this was an arcane method too I used to like the add file thing at the bottom of the page but it's not working today for some strange reason.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Good call Pam!  I believe it's a dowsing rod!

Comment

We call them sling-shoots in the U.S. I used to make them when I was a kid with bike inner tubes and the wood we used was Osage Orange. Could hit most anyhting I took aim at. These things can easily kill a person at close range.
                Jack

Comment

I have to  agree with Pam and Cousin Dan, the lack of notches and showing no wear from attachments, a dowsing rod. I may trade ya, may have to drill a new well.
                  Butch

Comment

I think it is a biofact.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I just knew you so-called experts would rubbish my find. Can nobody see the uncanny resemblance between mine (left) and the example in the British Museum (right)?       :S  :whistle:

I've come across this ploy before. You just want to buy it off me for a lot less than it's really worth, dont you?  :angry: Only Butch seems to be offering any kind of fair deal (thanks, Butch).
                      Here's a pic of the associated peashooter find I promised:

[Sorry if I confused anyone by using the term catapault. I forgot you guys call them slingshots]
                      Roger :unsure:  :dry:  :blink:  :silly:

Comment

Hey reminds me of a joke. What do you call a boomarang that don't come back? A stick! That peashooter in the blurry picture looks like a stick to me. If you post that on fleabay you won't get many bids!
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Hey reminds me of a joke. What do you call a boomarang that don't come back? A stick! That peashooter in the blurry picture looks like a stick to me. If you post that on fleabay you won't get many bids!
                            Sell it on ebay????? That's where I got it from in the first pla......... Damn, damn, damn! Now I'm busted, good and proper.
                          [also, "what's brown and sticky? answer: a stick! :silly: ]
                          Roger

Comment

Bravo!!!, Roger!!
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Are all you people chewing peyote buttons again?
                              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X