Shadow boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow boxes

Where do you guys get your boxes from or any ideas on how to make an affordable one? Thanks in advance!

I get display boxes from hobby lobby.about once a month they have them on sale for half price.nothing fancy.they have glass top,hinged and latched top.with a white filler.they hold points fairly secure,avenue when hauling them from show to show.

Comment

I make mine but it gets kinda involved and you have to have the right woodworking tools, like a table saw and miter saw to get it right. I like sneaky's way better. I'll check out Hobby Lobby in the future to see what they have. I started making mine because I wanted some smaller cases rather than the larger 18" x 18" etc,
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I build mine also. I use old Poplar wood from some abandoned barns. It is beautiful when the dust is planed off and is super easy to work with. Most old barns are made from oak or poplar. You can tell poplar from oak by indenting the board with your finger nail, you can dent poplar but not the oak.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2076.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	257692

Comment

• GeofunMike
          GeofunMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking repurposed wood for that lovely shadow box......

I made this one myself. Just a beginner.😜
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually Jethro - That's a lot better than the first one I made. If you're using a miter saw, use the clamp that usually comes with the saw to hold the pieces flush against the back rest. That's how you avoid the spacing between the joints. I never really knew what the clamp was for until a cabinet maker told me about uneven joints and clamping the work before sawing.

Nice work Obion. Do you leave your cases natural or stain them. The natural look of wood really enhances the display case and keeps the "old time" theme with the artifacts. I also like those black hinges. Where do you get them??
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• OBION
          OBION commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the no stain look. As the planer takes down layers the gray goes away and then a brown hue appears; it gets lighter and lighter with each pass and I like to stop where you can still see some "patina".

All I can ever find are gold hinges so I use the antique bronze rustoleaum and paint them.

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well duh! I didn't even think of painting them. Thanks Obion - I'd still be scratchin my head trying to find black hinges on the internet : )

I need to make some as well.
        South Dakota

Comment

You can buy Oak and Black Walnut display frames on ebay.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
          X