You Asked For It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Asked For It

Some time back when I said that my artifact hunting was suspended until fall (when the biting flies disappear) and that I was working on my model train layout, some of you expressed an interest in seeing it. Well, after 2 months of hard work for this grandmother and first time model railroader, here are some photos of work in progress. Keep in mind this is Z-scale or 1:220. Much of the painting, weathering, and some modeling I've done has been under a magnifying light. Except for the backdrop and wiring Hubby helped me with, I've done the rest by myself.
    Now when the news gets grim or ridiculous I disappear into my train room and the year 1938 (not that '38 was so hot but I wasn't around then. Lol!!). The train is the 1938 New York Central's Commodore Vanderbilt, the first steam streamliner. I fell in love with the engine and that resulted in all this. The backdrop is of the Southern Appalachians, which has nothing at all to do with a train that ran through NY State, but I couldn't find a NE backdrop I liked.
    The white strips across the back are strips of LEDs that flash with my Broadway Limited's Lightning and Thunder audio/visual setup. Makes a dandy thunderstorm!!
    Child of the tides

That's amazing Deb! Really great work! River looks like there may be some good fishing! Lol. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh. That water pour was my biggest concern. I did lots of sample test pours before getting up enough courage to pour it on my layout.

That is sweet, very nicely done. Now if we all could take a train ride!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It's loosely based on the original first season of the Twilight Zone from an episode called "A Stop at Willoughby", where an unhappy & stressed ad executive yearns to escape the push-push-push rat race & find a gentler place & time.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• gregszybala
        gregszybala commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, that's a twisted episode!

Nice job thanks for showing us.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Havenhunter
        Havenhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Matt. Not exactly artifact hunting but those old steam trains return me to the past nevertheless.

Great job. When I was a kid, everyone had a train set.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Yeah, it's a hobby dominated by seniors, myself included. But new electronic controls & features & sound cards are attracting a new generation of model Railroaders.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Isn't that nice
          South Dakota

Comment

Looks great thanks for showing!
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Bravo Deb.
              You are right Deb, we did ask for it.
              However small scale should not mean hard to see. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30671.jpg Views:	1 Size:	335.5 KB ID:	259868
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30672.jpg Views:	1 Size:	348.5 KB ID:	259869
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30673.jpg Views:	1 Size:	241.4 KB ID:	259870
              Thanks for sharing your private hideaway.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

that is awesome, I have been waiting to see how it would turn out after seeing your first post earlier this year. I am suprised you held out this long, I would have had to share step by steps. Let me finish by saying Wow I am impressed. Thanks for sharing your imaginary model world brought to reality.

Comment

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! It's a great escape from today's woes, most recently the violence in Charlottesville just 3 hrs from here. Thomas Jefferson must be rolling over in his grave.
            Working...
            X