Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Profile Picture/Photo with a Story or explanation, yes kind of like show and tell. Even though Some have posted in the faces to names. An Avatar is like a face, online anyway.

My current Avatar is a recent find and one of my best ones. I think it's archaic but thought it was woodland at first. A Burlington corner notch from east MO S. of ST. Louis. After a walk and almost back to the car it just was kind of laying there, luckily i had my camera and caught it on film lol. One of the best point's i have found.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2250.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	264710 We probably have an older avatar topic, but figure newer member's would rather post to a newer topic. Thanks for looking and do reply if You get a chance.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

My avatar is from a newspaper article about a find I made in my first year of detecting.
    It is a 1551 - 1553 English silver shilling. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1069.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	264714Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1070.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	264715 Here is a link to the story. http://www.timescolonist.com/16th-ce...gorge-1.783197
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Hi-Lo
      Hi-Lo commented
      Editing a comment
      Fascinating article. Thanks for sharing. 1550"s... Amazing!

• SeekandFind
      SeekandFind commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great find! And thanks for sharing the story!

• LucasBMylks
      LucasBMylks commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely blown away Bruce...speechless! To think that you may have a hand in changing history. A very important part of history too. Well Played Sir

Name:	Wolf.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	264717

The wolf was an important Native American totem. Just seeing a wolf paw print invokes many emotions.

This is from native-languages.org
    Wolves figure prominently in the mythology of nearly every Native American tribe. In most Native cultures, Wolf is considered a medicine being associated with courage, strength, loyalty, and success at hunting. Like bears, wolves are considered closely related to humans by many North American tribes, and the origin stories of some Northwest Coast tribes, such as the Quileute and the Kwakiutl, tell of their first ancestors being transformed from wolves into men. In Shoshone mythology, Wolf plays the role of the noble Creator god, while in Anishinabe mythology a wolf character is the brother and true best friend of the culture hero. Among the Pueblo tribes, wolves are considered one of the six directional guardians, associated with the east and the color white. The Zunis carve stone wolf fetishes for protection, ascribing to them both healing and hunting powers.

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

My avatar is a hardstone game ball I found up the road. I was standing in a field talking to Farmer Pinkerton about his land, mushroom hunting, and all things manly when I noticed a smooth rock between us. I picked it out of the dirt and said, "Look here, a game ball!". He was more interested in good mushroom spots but it made my day.
      fldwlkr

Name:	DSCN0269 (640x480).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	264719
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

I found this piece earlier this year and when I found it I thought it was a motley. I leaned towards buckcreek after I had time to study on it. Cool topic Josh

Comment

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          That's A Beauty, can imagine You drooling picking it up.

Cool thread Josh! My Avatar is a photo of some of my better pieces I have collected. Most of them were mailbox finds but a couple are personal finds. These points display my interest in both Kentucky and Tennessee artifacts. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170215_185726.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	264766
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I've always lived this photo! Would make an awesome book cover.

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Deb, it is kinda a play on Mr Cox's Overstreets display photo. I've always loved that photo and the randomness of the placements and spacing.

My avatar is a Morrow Mountain from my favorite deer hunting spot. It is a very special place for me for it is only 100 feet from my childhood home. So I was watching my childhood playground, my woods being destroyed some call it development, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3084.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	264780 knowing this was my last time to ever hunt here again. I thought wow if I could just find a point where I have always bowhunted. Got down walked over to development line and the first rock I looked at was it. Gave me a lot of thought about all the changes that have happened here and I'm far from the first to lose this land.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing your story. That will always be a special find for you. 👍👍👍

Nothing particularly special about this point. Just a nice well made Adena out of Indiana Green. I guess I tend to favor it because it shows off both the type and lithic well.
        I have found a few Adenas and they are in all kinds of sizes and conditions from one of the crudest points I've ever found to near works of art.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Adena.jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.8 KB ID:	264934
        Good thread Josh.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Boy there are some well thought out stories here.
          I think I need to change my avitar . Although growing up in
          S Cal we had so many hummingbirds . They really were my favorite from the little nest to their song and flight .I am and always have been so busy that people tell me I am like a humming bird .
          So there ya go ..
          BUT when I find that big blade I will change it .
          maybe the bobcat ....

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
            My avatar is from a newspaper article about a find I made in my first year of detecting.
            It is a 1551 - 1553 English silver shilling. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1069.jpg Views:	2 Size:	120.3 KB ID:	264714
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1070.jpg Views:	2 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	264715

Here is a link to the story. http://www.timescolonist.com/16th-ce...gorge-1.783197
            I remember when your discovery was in the news, Bruce. I can't remember if we discussed it on the forum or not, but I remember being pretty excited, as I love the history of the Age of Exploration, as Westerners like to call the early voyagers of discovery by European powers. I think this article is the one I remember. Very cool to find something that supports a somewhat outside the box theory....

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...tory-of-canada

Good thread, Josh....
            Last edited by CMD; 09-24-2017, 07:48 AM. Reason: I
            Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for that link Charlie, I had not seen that one before.
              And just to confirm your suspicion that is the story of my find.

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Bruce, I did a search and your coin was the subject of a short thread in the archaeology section in Jan. 2014, and I started the thread....

My avatar is my 2013 Jeep Wrangler I bought to ride the 4x4 beaches on NC's Outer Banks. The Wrangler community is a friendly group whose philosophy is "Some times lost but never stuck". It's a symbol of my second childhood & as my life as a child of the tides.
            Child of the tides

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Had a CJ back in the day and a lot of fun. Ubderstand the second childhood.

Before this goes to 2 pages I want to share another shot of this Beauty. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2259.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	265935
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the way you bumped this thread Josh.

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bruce
          Working...
          X