Digging a pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging a pond

I was going to originally ask Chad about this but some of you might have dug a pond as well . So there is this big creek going trough the middle of our property . It’s small 38 acres but enough for fun and hunting . There is an area that has natural springs on it way up from the creek . It’s all mucked up and I thought what if we dug out a large area for a pond with an overflow so it keeps clean into the creek . Now I know some of you may say eco here but if not .
    Did you dig down to the clay to keep the water in ?
    Any experiences you want to share? Good or bad

Even though it is your property you may have to get a permit to do a pond in Georgia. Around our area it is almost impossible to dam a stream. You might want to check regs in your area. Cant do anything fun anymore.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I’ve built a few over the years. If you are allowed, it’s not too terribly hard as long as whatever you build your levee out of isn’t sandy.
      when you build the levee, you will want to mark off where it will go, and how high it will be will decide the width. It should be at least 3times as wide as it is high.
      where the base will be, remove all top soil and organic matter down to undisturbed subsoil. Then, in the middle of your levee area, you will want to dig a ditch the entire length of the levee, at least 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep, this will act as a “key”to tie the levee to the subsoil, and will help prevent seepage. When you start building the levee, fill and compact in layers no more than 6-8”,including the “ditch..
      plan for an overflow that will not damage your levee(rookie mistake, trust me)...
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thanks , watching utube wow it’s going to be really down the road . Willo it’s a spring ,
        Jethro you really are a man of all trades .
        Thank youuuu

Comment

While you may feel the stream that flows through your property is yours to alter, here in Virginia the landowners downstream have legal rights to that stream as well. Anything you do to alter that flow, even temporarily, will have an impact on someone else. If you did that to me without my knowledge or without county & state permits, we would be in court.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Like many have said, you need to see what regulations your state has... Unfortunately, i feel it also depends on your neighbors.. if you have good neighbors that wont raise a stink then digging in a spring that originates on your own property shouldnt be an issue. A lot of times cleaning them out increases the flow. Springs create a lot of sediment and this builds up causing their flow rate to diminish.

Every spring pond has to have an outlet and as long as the water still goes to the same stream then it shouldnt be a problem. This is just my experience and opinion.
            Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

I did not represent myself well in this post . This pond really has nothing to do with the stream . The stream has it’s own water source and flows at will through Georgia . On the property we have a natural spring but it’s not a beautiful site .
              it actually creates a muck / mud wallow for pigs which are a problem in Georgia . We were thinking of digging to let it hold water for ducks we have in the area . Also any over spill would just follow its original path . Been on utube to see what people do . Jethro I screen shot your post for furture use . We were actually trying to create a more helpful natural environment instead of what I call the Pig pin . I don’t want the local farmers hating on me because I am the king pin
              pig person that destroy their area .
              After watching I can see it’s a big project . Some day
              The previous owner had an old stand up just to shoot the pigs now I don’t want to do that .. I’ll let the farmers do that .
              but like I said I kind of have a problem in a way with that muck .

Comment

Chad , I think that’s the problem !!! To much sedimate .
                great info !!! See I knew I would find some valuable info from everyone ... thanks to all .

Comment

Your 2nd explanation clarifies your plan & that makes good sense. A wild pig wallow is unhealthy & breeds mosquitoes. A pond will attract beneficial wildlife & discourage pigs who don't like deep water. Frogs & fish & a small dock-- paradise!
                  Child of the tides

Comment

We had a boggy patch at the bottom of the field where i used to live ( i think they re-routed a stream or something years before) and we just dug it out with an excavator and piled the spoil around the sides of the hole and that worked out fine. The land around dried out fine. Sometimes in a hot summer it almost dried out but come the winter the water was back no problem.
                    Failing that see if ya can get Bruce to send ya a couple of beavers!
                    If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

I'm all for the beavers! Sadly folks would rather shoot or trap them than let them do what comes naturally.
                      Child of the tides

Comment

We have some pretty cool little beaver spots on other property’s . Not ours ... they let us know they are not happy we are there ... slap slap .
                        well I really appreciate all this info .
                        its motivating

Comment

• Havenhunter
                          Havenhunter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Try leaving them apples! They love them & may be coaxed into staying. They will do the work for you!

You know I was having some coffee the other day and I no kidding ran that post through my head . The pond with frogs and a deck .. heaven .. you stuck that in my head Deb😁

Comment

Tam - While you have the Forestry guys working there - mention it to them and see what they say. They know the rules for State and Federal. Sometimes, if they have the equipment already there, they will do it for you just to be sure it's done right. Check it out and see what happens. The least of it - they will advise you on how to proceed.
                          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Great idea check gezzzzz

Comment

Working...
                            X