Me and My Shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and My Shadow

As many of you may remember my Granddaughter Lilly, who found that absolutely spectacular Dove Tail sometime back, well yesterday was her 10th Birthday and she and her mom had a mother/daughter outing. This left my Grandson, Hunter, home with Gma and Gpa and he weren't a happy camper - so I asked him if he wanted to go on a walkabout with me. Now - ya gotta understand. When I got up this AM it was 36 degrees out and when Hunter and I left it was in the PM but only 44. So needless to say it wasn't the world's longest walkabout, not to mention his short legs. Anyway -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct28 2017.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	269757
    We had a cold front come through with lots of rain and wind so it looked pretty dismal when we started. Colors are changing nicely.

Name:	Hunter&Gpa.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	269758

We stopped on the front hillside for a Buddy Pic then threaded through a couple of barbed wire fences to reach the downhill washouts.

Name:	HunterwLeaves.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	269759

As you can see, the leaves are definitely winning the battle for ground cover. It's almost impossible to hunt arrowheads in this stuff but we persisted - a bit.

Name:	Tucker.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	269761

And of course, the walk wouldn't be complete without the family "almost" a dog, Tucker. He used to have a big head and thin body but that changed after we got him fixed.

Name:	HunterwDeerblind.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	269760

We didn't find any artifacts but Hunter did find a Deer blind. After I explained what it was used for he wanted to get inside and see all the guns. Maybe I didn't explain it correctly for a 4 year old. Anyway that pretty well wrapped up our walkabout. On the way back up the hill, Hunter found lots and lots of cockleburrs and blackberry brambles. Needless to say it took us longer to get back than it did to get out. We enjoyed it anyway and were really glad to get back to a warm house.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

That is a great day out with your grandson Chuck, thank you for sharing your special moment with us.
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 10-29-2017, 09:20 AM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Nice walk along Chuck, good to see you getting that young fellow out and sparking some outdoor interest in him. Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Sweet! How can you not love a day in your life like that?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

A short trip for an adult but a full blown expedition for a young fella like that...get those kids out in the woods...great pics
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Nice story and photos, Chuck. And that's a nice view ya got! Sure beats city living....
            Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
              Scorpion68 commented
              Editing a comment
              Charlie - it's a view the wife and I always look forward to when coming home. By the way, my wife is from Johnston, RI. I really like the New England area. They sure know how to grow some big rocks!!

Great story Chuck thanks for sharing. I drove down to McMinnville the other day and the leaves were looking good along I 40 they are changing kind of slow this year for sure. That cold front is something else it has been snowing today up on Mount LeCont they had a few inches already.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wonderful story but all I can say is brrr! Winter's coming. ☹️
              Child of the tides

Comment

Thanks for the outing Chuck!
                South Dakota

Comment

Ahhhh see he is not going to want to go with Gma anymore .
                  He knows what fun he will have with Gpa ... what a great
                  day! Great pics .
                  So glad you got him into the outdoors . You do know this is going to open up a can of worms Chuck . Better get the snow boots out .

Comment

• Scorpion68
                    Scorpion68 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yea - last year he and I did somersaults on his snow disk on the hill. It started as an accident but then he wanted to keep going. I'm not in the best shape but was able to kinda keep up with him. It was fun.

Memories my friend r what it’s ALL about
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                  X