Ashland Train Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland Train Day

Today was Train Day in Ashland, VA, a major rr artery from the Mid Atlantic north & south and westward to the mountains & the Ohio Valley beyond.
    Twin mainlines run the length of Ashland's historic district & live train cams enable rr buffs to watch passenger & freight trains 24/7. Train traffic cones through almost every 30 min.
    Train Day celebrates America's railroad history & many of the specialty cars & tools on display are relics of the past, much like the artifacts we hunt.
    Once a year the town blocks off vehicular traffic & real & model trains run side-by-side, celebrating rr history. Some 100,000 folks come from all over the East Coast to enjoy trains, past & present. Kids of all ages loved the model trains running, distracted only when a full sized train thundered through, almost close enough to touch.
    Not as far back in our past as our artifacts, trains have an equally loyal following that all our technological gizmos can't replace. πŸš‚πŸš‰
    Child of the tides

Deb - anytime I hear a train it reminds me of the steam locomotives that used run by our house when I was a kid in Illinois. I used to go with the depot master to hang the mail sacks for train pick up. Wow - that goes back a couple of years!!!
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      While others sit & fume at a rr crossing, waiting for 100+ cars to go by, I'm in my glory! Keep 'em coming!

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      While others sit & fume at a rr crossing, waiting for 100+ cars to go by, I'm in my glory! Keep 'em coming!

Deb...while others sit and fume, I see $$$. I work for Union Pacific. :-)
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      πŸ‘

Yep as tennagers we use to go out in the desert and get out a Coleman stove ... cook and just sit and watch the trains go by..
    I just love the sound . Little place up in Fl is how we keep time ... cho choooo it’s yhe 6.00
    choo chooo it’s the 5am

Comment

Working...
    X