Mountain Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Driving

The Daughter and I have to make a 2 hour run over to the Oak Ridge college campus today and this is what we'll be driving in. This is a pic of my house from the road, just about 100 feet above my house and a shot down the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MtnFog2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	271284
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MtnFog.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	271285
    Now usually you can see the house very plainly from the road. And about 100 yards down the road there is a house on the left where the road curves to the right. Visibility is about 150-200 feet. Now I don't usually mind ground fog but driving through the mountains it becomes very precarious. Some of my fellow mountain dwellers tend to drive the middle of the road even on clear days and today will be no different. That 2 hour drive just might turn into a 3 hour trek. I especially hate all the switch backs that we encounter going over to Oak Ridge but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Hey Chuck, I don't have any mountains near home. We really enjoyed driving through the mountains out west. Headlights are a safety factor in the fog and rain. Be safe Buddy.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Headlights and fog lights in this case plus a much slower speed. Thanks Ron

Be careful out there.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do. Thanks Sugaree

I don't envy your drive. How well I remember the pea soup- thick fog between Blacksburg & Radford VA on my way to work. One foggy day an oncoming car hit a cow broadside that had wandered onto the road. That bovine went airborne & landed on the hood of the truck in front of me. Our line of cars went from 35 to 0 mph in s nano second! Lol!!
    Please rice safely!
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I can imagine. I've witnessed similar with deer. Gonna take my time and be safe - thanks

Safe travels, you never know what is coming out of where.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I hope it clears and the drive back is beautiful.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        It wasn't clear and it was dark on the way back. Had to stop a couple of time cause I could only see the road about 4 feet in front of the truck. But slow was good and we made it back safe and sound.

When us kids (18-25) use to drive up the HWY 1 on the coast all the way from S Cal to Big Sur the fog was a death trap . One night and this is a bunch of teens we were smart enough to pull over and put our money together for a motel on a cliff . Lady looking at all six of us thinking we’re up to no good .
      No mam to afraid to drive in this . Those hair pin turns with
      zero visibility had 6 car pile ups as a common accurance. Ad a big cliff and I would sleep in the car .
      Dont you know we enjoyed a hot shower after camping for a month and just diving in streams and lakes . Can kids even live like that anymore ?

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        I seriously doubt kids today would even think about a month of camping let alone a day without their malls and iphone/pad/facetime etc.

Fog driving is scary but I love the sound of a dense fog. This time of year and for the next few months dense fogs tend to make migrating geese fly real close to the ground and it is awesome listening to them flying in the fog just feet away and only hearing them.

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Know the feeling only around here they fly at tree top level but still, all you get is the sound.
    Working...
    X