Tell tail signs of arrowhead hunting stupidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell tail signs of arrowhead hunting stupidity

Okay I have done a lot of stupid things in the pursuit of artifacts.
    let's hear you're stories. ..I can't be the only one.
    I have looked down a snow covered road and convinced myself that could make down there only to get stuck and had to walk back in snow and did find anything
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

The day after Hurricane Mathews blew by I just knew he had to have washed some points ashore just waiting for me to find. I also knew the horseflies had been stirred up by the storm as well but figured they might not be too bad. Wrong!! I lasted five minutes, didn't find a durn thing & those buggers bit the living c**p out of me.
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Deb - I took my wife to the beach in Pensacola, Florida on day when the Black Flies were swarming. Unfortunately I locked the keys in my car and when we came running back to get away from them and the painful bites, I had to break a vent window to get in - but believe me it didn't take long to break it open either. I can still hear my wife giving me "what for" - ; -)

Hiked to a digging site and I took off my pants, shoes and socks to wade across a shallow slough (45 degrees out..) and when I got to the other side I didn't want to put my clothes back on my wet self so I started walking to the site barefoot in my tighty whiteys and somehow my freshly sharpened pony shovel dug into the back of my ankle (DUMB) and it was hanging off...... I still tried to keep going (DUMB again) with help from buddy, wrapping it up.....but had to leave from pain and bleeding.. LOOONG, nasty trip back hobbling with buddy help. On the way home we had to drive pass a paleo site and again (DUMB) I got out of the truck and tried to walk the site...... nope. Had no insurance, it needed stitches no doubt about it....butterflied and wrapped for weeks for it to heal.
    Again the FEET!! Was digging a sandy site in BAREFEET (LOL) and got to get up out of the hole and sliced my foot wide open on a coral flake. Needed big help again from buddy hahahahaa. Butterflied, wrapped. Scars.
    First pic is from The CutFoot Site, second is from the The Ankle Site
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

You know your an arrowhead hunter gezzz .
      well worth those scars .

Comment

Yup Chase - I think we all been there. Last winter/Early spring I hiked out to do a hunt. Went down the logging road and noticed the creek had really been running high so figured I climb down to the area below the falls and hunt the sandbar. Well I made it down alright after slipping and sliding all the way down. It only took me about 20 minutes to get from my house to below the falls but I couldn't come back the way I went down. Had to hike around the ridge until I could find a reasonable place where I could climb back up. Took me over 2 hours to get back. Needless to say - that won't happen again!!!
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have two stupid stories. The first one is when I found a beauty of a chopper made of rose quartz and held it in my hand. I spotted this beautiful banded rhyolite point barley sticking out of the dirt and put the chopper on the ground to pull the point out. It was such a beautiful point I totally forgot about the chopper till I got home. Went back three times looking for it never found it again. My other story is when it was 95 out and decided to take a rest under a shade tree right on top of a fire ant nest. Probably got 75 bites.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Them little devils are just plain evil. Ya don't know they're there til it's too late!!!

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Durn! Both stories are painful!

Went out with impending thunderstorms (unbeknownst to me) and had lighting strike in the field I was in... I definitely nearly pooped myself, ran out of my boots 200 yards back to the truck at a dead sprint
          Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            This one takes the cake.

• BabaORiley
            BabaORiley commented
            Editing a comment
            Been there Pointhead. Once while tryin to arrow a big buck and again when the fish were biting like mad. Way too close both times. Never again...I got a feeling #3 aint gonna miss...

Alright, these Stories bring back memories of my own. Like Sugaree, theres been a couple things i found that weren't taken home. I found a large pottery piece (maybe a rim) and then found a point. I went to rearrange my pockets and that pottery must have really blended in with the ground.

This other goes back to my early days, well part of the reason i started hunting is because a clovis that was stolen. My first and only point (long story) but i WAS determined to find a clovis. So while out walking a ditch i found a very nice leaf/preform kind of like a north blade. I chucked it to the bank.... Never seen it again.

Pointhead, I'm laughing with You. It's not fun in the wood's either with the trees swaying,rain and lightning! lol
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Pointhead
            Pointhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I was freaked out man!! It’s a deafening crack when lightning is so close. I wrote a post about it on here once!

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, lightning sucks!

Well these are stupidity stories . Fist one is I found the best nutting stone . It was red jasper and as big as a chopping block . 8x10 or bigger . It was one of those days where Wayne was hot and tired and went back to the truck . Not me gotta starve and get dehydrated to the end . He says come on . I am so tired and my pockets are full of chips and a few birdies ... it’s to heavy to go up the hill now .
          Ok I’ll put it right here between these 2 white oaks . Perfect you look down at the river and it will be dead on . Tell my other Buddie go get it later ... we’ll we all know the end of that story never found it .
          Then those lovely knives we find that are crude . I have one posted under the tool thread if you care to look . If the lithic was on a limestone deposit they look like coyote poop . It was a bad point year and I ran up on one of these suckers so excited and pick it up ... Wayne is laughing at me and right then I knew .... yep C Poop

Comment

I decided to hit the fields right after the snow melt off one year. I told myself that I would stay on the chaff from the fall harvest and avoid the low really quicksand muddy spots. There were rocks everywhere and this was a good area. We had a deep freeze that winter also. Well I ventured over to a rather soupy area and there it was!!! A smoker about 10 feet in the mush. Well you all know what I did. Yep I walked right up to that LEAF!!! Curse you Ma Nature... I am now past my ankles in mud. I go to get turned around and splash...flat on my back in cold ass water and mud and about 37 degree temps. I had to almost crawl a few feet to get back up...How embarrassing!!! I had to strip to my skivvies at the truck while avoiding hypothermia...then home where my clothes were bagged up and I was told...oh heck no...you'll ruin the washer...off to the laundromat...that was a stupid day...that leaf looked so real...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I hate those leafs ...
              ok you are a top contender with that story .

Comment

I was surface hunting a field with a friend that belonged to my Grandpa when I was younger when a guy stopped on the dirt road nearby and started shouting for me to get off his land. Me being a smart ass 20 something told him to get lost. Next thing I know he’s firing shots over my head with a shotgun. Me and my buddy take off running like mad men, and about a hundred yards out I said “why are we running,this is my Grandpa’s field..?” And my buddy says “because he has a gun.” We kept running.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                X