Fermenting Garlic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenting Garlic

These fermenting garlics have only been doing their thing for a few days and the whole house smells like a Korean kitchen and I know what that smells like hahahahaha.
    I ferment a lot of veggies during the year. Basically pickling. Fermentation lock and gasket at beer/hydro making supply stores. Big mouth masons with plastic lids, 1/2 inch holes. I had to
    put this in a styrofoam cooler hahahaha it's gonna be at least 4 weeks bubbling and farting.

Bruce, thanks for fixing that pic it was better than me making it smaller....but I deleted the thread lolol while trying to fix it. Yep we love it!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
    These fermenting garlics have only been doing their thing for a few days and the whole house smells like a Korean kitchen and I know what that smells like hahahahaha.
    I ferment a lot of veggies during the year. Basically pickling. Fermentation lock and gasket at beer/hydro making supply stores. Big mouth masons with plastic lids, 1/2 inch holes. I had to
    put this in a styrofoam cooler hahahaha it's gonna be at least 4 weeks bubbling and farting.

Bruce, thanks for fixing that pic it was better than me making it smaller....but I deleted the thread lolol while trying to fix it. Yep we love it!
    No problem my friend. Click image for larger version

Name:	laugh.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	287746
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Hey professor...pair that garlic up when its done with some nice spicy kimchi and the bubbling and farting will continue...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Havenhunter
        Havenhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my god, that's a gasser!!!

Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Hi Tom. I need to get educated about this as I never ate, saw, heard about fermenting garlic. And I don't know anyone personally who does. I love garlic in and on all kinds of food but this is a first time for me. Maybe I've lived a sheltered life. LOL And also what are you doing to those sardines or are they anchovies? Haven't they suffered enough already? LOL I could understand pickling garlic but I never saw that either. But fermenting, really?

Comment

Where's my Zantac?!?
          Child of the tides

Comment

I have lots of Korean friends living here in a Hawaii . They actually have caves in some of the villages in Korea that are the right temp and keep them cool in these Kim Chee pots all year . Just dirt walls with these lined up , honor system . With the benefits of garlic and the fermentation that is one of the healthiest things you can eat . It’s all about the probiotics in their fermentation . Long time ago they told me before trade there were no foods
            for the winter in the veggie department so they pickled everything . Kind of like Russians with pickled onions and herring .
            I am on the next plane brother . Oh would I love of that .
            So I come to work and they have Kim chee pancakes for me and my favorite kim chee soup . Yeah I smelled all day but we all did. They still make me fresh Kim chee and I never need that little purple pill .
            I am so proud of you with that beer rig !

Comment

I keep looking at the fish yummmmm
              that in top of some hot rice ..

Comment

Kimchi is a regular thing. All kinds.
                The marinated, brined, spiced, smoked and dried bay anchovies/sardines are another story I've been posting for years cause I get laughs out of it for eating BAIT hahahahaha It's really eatin' low on the food chain.....something I actually do a lot.
                While peeling the garlics I chewed on a clove...man some garlics are much spicier than others. Won't buy any Chinese Garlic!
                Last edited by tomclark; 02-24-2018, 02:22 PM.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Havenhunter
                  Havenhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How many chicks would make out with you after chewing on a clove? Or did you offer a clove to them first?

• BabaORiley
                  BabaORiley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Betcha no vampires ever come around your house...

Dried marinated, smoked whole Bay Anchovies (sardine)....
                Last edited by tomclark; 02-24-2018, 02:21 PM.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

smoked and dried like fish bacon. I could never keep up with the my demand and everyone else hahahaha When you throw the net for these sometimes you can't pull up the net it is so full of bait. Only these sardines are good whole. "WhiteBait" isn't good, some others aren't worth it, heck these are almost not worth it. Always keep on ice quick home, cut off heads with scissors EACH ONE, slitting the belly just like any other fish, under running water get the guts out (.....a lot of Asian stores/people do not clean out the guts...). Marinated for hours in this case some Patak's Indian Pickle with some other pickling amendments, then dried in the dehydrator, then into the smoker, then back into the dryer to crisp. I know the Old Ones ate tiny fish...this is better than Guppy Stew lolol.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

So it's the makings for kin chee, eh? I've heard of that but never really knew anything about it. Looks like something one has to acquire a taste for if you haven't been reared eating the stuff. Kiinda like drinking moonshine. Most folks can't stand the taste of it .Gotta be raised on that kind of whiskey. Same for eating muktuk. LOL

Comment

• Havenhunter
                      Havenhunter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Country ham too! First time I tried it I gagged. Now it's some kind of delicious!

Hey Tom, That looks delicious. Two of my favorites are pickled herring cutlets and sauerkraut. My uncle Al always fermented cucumber pickles in a 30 gallon crock.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Yeah Joe that stuff they bury for weeks till it’s rotten .
                      In Alaska it’s their delicious treat right ?
                      Tom lol instead of slim Jim’s here there are all kinds of dried Squid , octopus , those little sardines .
                      actually pretty good .
                      If you like vinegar like I do there is a type of Kim chee you need to try . They start the kids off on it to get them to acquire the taste . I can’t remember the name but if you like Kim chee and a lot of vinegar I’ll get the name for you .
                      I have to be careful I’ll eat the whole jar it’s that good . Costco sells it here lol .
                      I just know what it looks like because we have so many kinds here .
                      Man those sardines look great . Probiotics up the waso to .
                      I think it’s Italy that you go into a bar and no peanuts, nope . The first thing they bring out is a roasted sardine fillet with garlic ... Boy you would love that with s cold beer .
                      its all about taste .
                      where did you get yours from ???

Comment

Heaven to me Ron being Russian . Tom see that’s where my acquired taste came from . 6 years old eating pickled herring , sauerkraut , just a cross over ... yum eating sardines out of the can wrapped around a capper .

Comment

Working...
                        X