Crazy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Weather

After three days of high 60's/low70's weather, we wake up this morning to find this stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar Snow.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	289676 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar Snow2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	289675

Kristy had taken the kids to school down the mountain and she said it was all clear down there but lots of the cars had snow on them so it only snowed in the higher elevations. Lucky us, Huh! The bad part about this is that Willow tree in the first pic has just started to leaf out and this freezing temp might wind up killing it. Something similar happened about 3-4 years ago and we lost some nut trees up here. They're predicting two more mid-low 20 temps in the next few days so I guess we'll see. I'm hoping this is Winter's last Hoorah.
    Attached Files
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Yeah that is quite a contrast with the apple blossoms on that tree. That willow might make it although it is young. They are tough trees. I have seen the destroyed by lightning and just keep on rollin. That is a beautiful area you are in there. I like to see the flag. She flies every day at my house also.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Yea Frank - All my neighbors know when the Flags up, Chuck's up and about and when the Flags down, so is Chuck. Old habits from my Navy days.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Our second nor'easter in a week. Bone chilling & windy. Our plum trees are all in bloom & the freeze this week will get them. Plus there are no pollinators out. Daffodils are all in bloom but they can take a light freeze. Go away, winter!
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Amen to that Deb.

Yeah Deb was talking about losing trees on her post with that last big storm . What I am taking away from this and the last post is all the land I am on has survival trees . Now all these fancy little fruit and nut trees I am planning to plant may take a beating .
        Back when I was a kid in Cal it does freeze there . In fact it was in the 20’s last week . My Dad always planted his tropical plants next to the house for heat . And this is the best part . When a cold front was coming and he knew because of being a pilot . We would all go out and put Xmas lights up because back in the 50’s 60’ they gave off heat and then would put sheets over them . They made it!!!
        Oh the neighbors must of thought hmmm

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Tam - all our trees are indigenous to the area but that doesn't help. I have Hickory and Black Walnut as well as Pecan. When these trees go into bloom a freeze will kill the fruit potential and if the leaves are starting it will kill the leaves which in turn will kill the tree. My wife's Lilac bushes have partially browned out which means that all the brown areas will have to be cut away. About 3-4 years ago we had a similar situation and my Hickory tree, below the house which is about 50' tall took a major hit. It hasn't produced nuts since and is slowly dying. We also completely lost a 40' Black Walnut because it lost all it's leaves. Not a good thing at all.

We haven't had a fig crop in 3 years. A warm spell in Feb. followed by sub freezing nights on Mar, have frozen the tender shoots & buds. The fig buds will re-emerge later but never have s chance for the fruit to ripen before fall's first frost. How I miss them!
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bummer Deb. This changing weather pattern sucks. I'm waiting to see what happens when the Humming Birds arrive and find these temps. They're due any time..

Hummers don't show up here in the Tidewater until early to mid April. This weather has my neighbor's bees all confused.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Deb - You think the bees are confused. I'm looking out the window right now and it's snowing again. Help

That's like Missouri Chuck. Nice Pic's!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

No!!!!!!! I'm so sick of winter. The barred owls were courting last night & this morning all around my woods so maybe they know something we don't.
          Child of the tides

Comment

You people are hearty stock up there in those latitudes .
            As I cherish the cool nights here in the 60’s and dread summer I see why spring coming is so important . My friend is smelling the maple cooking and geese retuning in Vermont.
            Spring is on its way . Your barn owls are your chime 🙏

Comment

Snow showers today, no accumulation here though. Nice pictures Chuck and your respect of the flag is admirable to me. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your views!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
                Scorpion68 commented
                Editing a comment
                Believe it or not Josh - I had this respect for our flag long before I joined the Navy cause of my Dad and Boy Scouts. The Navy solidified my respect and honor for it and all I do is carry on. Course - my Grandkids are learning it the same way.

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                That's great Chuck!

Sorry, Folks. C'MON DOWN!!
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Round 3 coastal storm advisory issued for NC/VA for early next week. 😩
                Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                X