Not what you want to see.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not what you want to see.

So do you think its a bad sign when you find a large pile of chert flakes/broken worked artifacts and blades laying discarded right by your hunting site? (see pictures) I realize there was a recent post similar to this one, but I just have to gripe a little. I have long suspected my only private hunting ground is being searched, but now I have no doubt it's being hit regularly, maybe multiple times by different people a week. Unfortunately, it's right next to a public park with a game trail running by the stream. This heap was found right at the trail head entering the park that leads to my area. I have to say, if this is his/her trash pile, I'm in trouble. There were some nice pieces just tossed out. Multiple kinds of beautiful lithic material, green, blue, red flakes. I've never seen those colors in that creek. Almost makes me wonder if it wasn't someone who travels far outside the area hunting and their car search bucket just got to full so they dumped it. I guess this explains why I don't find all those paleo points just lying around.

Central Ohio

Some collectors pick up all debitage and dump it in a pile so that they will not have to check it out on later hunts.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost took it as someone marking their territory. It's funny that most everyone at that park probably walked by and didn't even notice, just a pile of rocks. But I saw it straight away from several yards off. This hobby has changed how I look at the ground.

Man, those are some nices pieces that they left. Makes you wonder what they kept.. Bummer.

Comment

I deal with the same issues here by me. A few weeks back during an early warm/dry spell I wen to a place that I have sole permission to search. Well there were footprints. Two separate sets. They must not have been looking very close or knowing that they were trespassing moved quickly as they walked within a step of two points that I found. That being said theres no telling what was taken by them and it feels like you had something stolen. It happens with anything of value. Artifacts, shed antlers, I'll bet our metal detectors can tell you they have the same issues.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• AndyinMO
        AndyinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think it may have been the property owners? Unless, of course, you are the property owner..

• BabaORiley
        BabaORiley commented
        Editing a comment
        No they were trespassers. I phoned the landowner and he said it was not him. I could also tell by the path traveled and a few rocks kicked out of the soil just what was going on.

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Metal detecting has its transgressors too Frank. Trespassing is a definite no no in all forms of collecting.

Yup - I felt the same way when I found someone had been using my digging tools in the rockhouse below my house. I'm the only one who has permission to be on this property but that doesn't stop a few who know where to look. I imagine it's particularly attractive since I've left the tools in place. Always feel like I've lost something, even though I don't know what it is.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s pretty bad unless it was your neighbor .

Yeah that one woodland camp even though it’s private property people get on it . Every time I check NOAA and see a big storm come through I walk around grumbling to myself . Someone is finding points I just know it . Looks like a broken drill top left and a bottle cap scrapper in the middle .
      she how bad I need to go I am looking through the trash pile .

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        It makes me feel like I'm not going to find anything unless I go out right after it rains, unfortunately.

Yep me to

Comment

footprints always makes me sick to my stomach. most of the creeks i hunt get hit hard by a few or more hardcore hunters so its be there soon as the rain stops or the water gets right. meth addicts are the worst they never sleep and dont give a crap whos land they go on.

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Hawaii to they get all the Japanese glass balls that come in on the tides . Meth heads are the worst .

By the looks of the first picture that spot has seen more than one dump .
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
        X