• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today went to the birds

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180506_164523.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	299019 Yesterday afternoon four eggs, today three birds and one egg. Sure hope they beat the plow and the planter . Ground is very wet that's in their favor.

We have marked them with a orange flag on a stick. I don't recognize the egg. Do you know what they are?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are killdeer babies, and by this time tomorrow they’ll be able to outrun most plows.
      It’s odd seeing such a large clutch. Usually two, sometimes three. They must be exceptionally healthy there!

“Alright kids, mommy and daddy will be back really soon ok,so just sit right here and don’t move”
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

That’s really cool, nice picture. I like Mr. Kelley’s idea of flagging them for safety
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Looks like Killdeer chicks to me
        Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

I've seen killdeer nest in the gravel on our road & have to abandon the nest every time a vehicle comes by. Crazy
          Child of the tides

Comment

Yes they are Killdeer and they will leave the nest when something approaches and make a distraction at a distance to lure the predator away, they can make a lot of noise and appear to be wounded.

Comment

Ohhhh I love that pic .

Comment

All my years of walking plowed fields up in CT I only found one nest with eggs in it in all that time. So well camoflaged. This photograph is awesome thank you for sharing it. For the record i had seen many Killdeer but only one nest with eggs . I would always look where the adult birds where freaking out but the camo just blends.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Me to Hoss . We had those in Cal and the darn eggs looked like the rocks there . Kind of like a granite gravel .

Comment

Working...
                  X