New Frame - Different Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Frame - Different Points

Thought I'd show this Display case I made for some of the points that are always in the box under the coffee table in the living room. The case is made of Hemlock and is a very scarce wood in these parts these days. I salvaged it from one of our construction jobs. However, the case has some flaws that are probably obvious to most. The 45 degree angles don't exactly fit close. I didn't notice that until I had three sides together. Funny thing was that the inside fit tight. So - I says, you idiot, you didn't square your saw blade. Sure enough it was off about 1/16 inch which is enough to mismatch the angles. Oh well, since it's for my own use, I went ahead and finished it with satin polyurethane. And here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DispCase.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	316756

Some of these points you've seen and some are broken but I decided to show em as I find em.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

I see no problems. Only cool arrowheads!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks KP. Appreciate ya

Really nice broke Corner Notched point, well done
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny. Appreciate ya

Hey Chuck, I love the display. Those ancient artifacts are all special finds.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron. The smaller the find the more special it is. Appreciate ya

i like both the case and the points

i cant cut a straight line to save my back straps,even when i use the fence on my table saw
    i can cut a board twice and it is always to short lol

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm lucky Sneaky - my wife bought me a 12" compound miter saw with laser for Christmas. It does an excellent job if I get the adjustments right and that's where we are alike. It's all in the way "you hold your mouth" as my Daddy used to say. Appreciate ya

That is really nice. Can you explain how you secure your artifacts in the frame? I have wondered how displays are made .Are they placed on some type of foam? Really nice pieces in your frame too!
    South Carolina

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bingo Josie - You have the answer. Foam is placed under the felt and when the top is closed, the glass or plexiglas presses the points into the foam to secure them in place. The bottom is boxed in the same size as the window and that holds the foam and felt. Otherwise, it's two frames of exact same size hinged together with latches to hold it shut. I cut a kerf into the inside of of the top pieces, slide the plexiglas into place then put the final top piece into place which holds the clear plexiglas into place. Or you could buy a display case or frame from a hobby shop, framing shop or some such place. Thanks for commenting. Appreciate ya

Very cool
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay - Appreciate ya

Hey Chuck you got some nice points there and the frame looks fine man. Do I see a mini-bifurcate there? And I like the knot in top of frame ..Red
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's more like a multi-bifurcate. I'm not sure what it was and neither was the archaeologist but the one about 12:00 has 4 notches in it and the one at 3:00 has notches in the middle of both sides.

Chuck.. what is the foam material you used called? and you wouldn’t happen to know where I could order some?

I want ant to make frames that are hang-able and accessible so I can handle some of my favorite points when I take them off the wall..

im sure there’s been a few threads on this and I will search for this as well.

You arranged those points well. I love the different materials you have going on there
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      PH - all I ever knew it called was foam or padding foam. I buy mine at Hobby Lobby but you can probably get it at any craft store like Michael's and maybe even walmart. It comes in a variety of sheets and thicknesses and densities. You can also find it in upholstery shops. I usually buy it in 1" thick sheets 2'x2' and it's not that much. I've also thought about buying .25" sheets for layering when space is tighter and 1" is too thick. While you're at the craft store you can also pick up the brass hinges, closures or fasteners and the back hangers, like for pictures. Hobby Lobby is my one stop place. Let us know how it comes out. Appreciate ya

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      Memory foam?

Hey Chuck, that frame is as perfect as your points. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. Like nature’s treasures, it has its own unique variations. No finger pointing from any of us!
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Deb - I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my woodwork and leatherwork and my construction skills - maybe too much. But - it's mine and I'll live with it. Appreciate ya

I like the looks of that wood. Good job!

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's Hemlock Andy - My whole house was framed in with Hemlock and the lap siding is also roughcut Hemlock. The bugs don't bother it, cept for the carpenter bees that bore holes in it. It's getting scarce in these parts. Appreciate ya Andy.

That’s an awesome display case you made. I’m going to make one using old weathered cypress fence boards. Hope it turns out as well as yours.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Narh - take your time and it'll turn out good. Old weathered wood is truly a pleasure to work and giving it a new purpose is a plus. I've got some old barn wood that's over 100 years old just waiting for the right project. Don't forget to post what you make - we all want to see it. Appreciate ya
Working...
X