Betcha Don't Know What This Is??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betcha Don't Know What This Is??

Got this from my neighbor the other day. He gives us one almost every fall and, if there's enough to go around, we get a second one. Wife fixes them just like you would squash or pumpkin, most often in bread or cubed with butter and brown sugar. It was domesticated back 7K - 3K BC which makes it one of the oldest veggies around cept for Corn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CushawSq.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	318952

It's a Cushaw Squash, often called Winter Squash. This one is 18 lbs but They get bigger.

Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

FOOD!

Amazing! I have never seen any vegetable that big! I thought my squashes were big, but yours...wow!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well KP - the one I had last year was bigger by about 6 lbs - it was 24 lbs and they still get bigger. Appreciate ya

Hey Chuck, I really like squash and that one would provide many meals.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea - they are big Ron and surprisingly - they last quite awhile off the vine compared to most veggies. Cathy will get a couple loaves of bread and some cubes to go with fish or beef. Appreciate ya Ron.

Nice I started eating healthy and that looks awesome Chuck mmm
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Your welcome Red. It don't get much healthier - Appreciate ya

Chuck that looks like a Cushaw squash. I love my winter squash favorites of mine are candy roasters, and banana, but my very favorite is the Long of Naples winter squash. When is dinner ready?
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like good eat'n. Appreciate ya

yup thats a pretty big squash alright

couldnt get me to eat one,same goes for brussell sprouts and cooked cabbage,also cauliflower and broccoli yuk

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey buzzard all those things u mentioned repair stuff in our bodies man ...I don't know how old you are but u will live longer to hunt artifacts if u try em ...I care for my fellow kickers come in man eat those things

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now Sneaky - I'm agree'n with ya on the brussell sprouts, cooked cabbage and cauliflower. I have been known to eat broccoli with my prime rib. But them other things are just plain gassy and y'all don't wanna be round me if'n I eat any!!!! Appreciate y'all

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Kentucky this is for you . I thought people were weak or being picky until I took an anthropology class that taught me this . There is a T cell that branches off that will makes one family member like one vegetable and the other to have a bitter taste .
      My husbands is like sneaky . Until I saw this in a book I could not believe my eyes or thoughts . I theorized that this was a survival element IE if everyone liked broccoli in a clan there would not be enough to go around . Teacher liked it .
      I had to look it up again it’s the TAS2R38 PTC taste receptor that causes this if you want to look it up .

kentucky point, cant stand them things,and cabbage is only good for sauerkraut

redrocks,well thanks for looking out for me,but i wont eat them things.just plain nasty and ive eaten some nasty things in my life and would rather eat a june bug than any of them things.really june bugs arent bad,a little crunchy and taste like mayonnaise
    oh ya im in my early 50's and no health issues other than arthritis,but then again i dont go see dr's either.dont need some one poking and probing me just to tell me im healthy. when i feel like somethings wrong thats when i go see a dr.

scorpion68, well at last some one who agrees with me. my wife does sneak broccoli in on me once in a while,she cuts it up real fine and i dont know its there or even taste it.she can be sneaky like that

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea -I think my wife sneaked broccoli in on me ONCE - and she made cauliflower mashed taters, which weren't too bad but ya just can't disguise them no matter what ya do. I eat the stuff I like. I have tried grass hoppers, crickets, cockroaches, ants, snake, and an assortment of other critters but don't want them for a steady diet nor in my diet - period. But I did try them and can say for sure I DON'T LIKE THEM!!

Nice picture Chuck that is one big squash. I never ate one of them.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hoss - Appreciate ya

Chuck, my wife makes cushaw pies every fall.. We never have to raise them because the neighbors always haul in more than we can eat. They have found over the years that if they deliver 1 cushaw to our house, then one cushaw pie will magically appear at their house.😀. They will honestly make you throw rocks at pumpkin pie..
    Northern Ky

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Owen - Ain't tried the pie yet. Appreciate ya

Well Chuck, it looks like we all appreciate ya too my friend.
    Great comments on this one re eating veggies.
    I love my veggies and if y'all leave them it means more for me.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like veggies to Bruce, Just some more than others. You're more than welcome to the ones I don't like. Appreciate ya

Yeah that is one big squash. Its getting to be that time of the year around here also. Loves that squash...I'll have to look around and see if I can locate that type.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Yum looks wonderful to me .. I know your wife cans so there is probably going to be some nice winter stews .

Comment

Working...
      X