Flood damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood damage

The rain just poured all day on us here in Carter County. We had over five inches in 24 hours. These are just a few pics of the destruction. I have one more pic coming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2478-MMS-1536600552193-attachment1-output.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	319071

This is the main bridge that crosses the Tygart creek. Normal water level is about two feet. The bridge height is fifteen feet. Originally the creek was fifteen feet wide although today it spanned the bridge and the fields beyond.

Name:	2479-MMS-1536600570721-attachment1-output.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	319072

As you can see, the water is not supposed to be on the roadway. If you notice, the bridge is in the background showing how far the water spread.

Name:	imagejpeg_0_1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	319073

This is a view of a house that I wanted to metal detect.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Great pics there Kentucky .
    Hawaii ( big island ) received 50 inches and the new storm coming is going to dump over 30 inches .
    By the end of the year can you imagine almost 100 inches .

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Good night! I could never imagine all of that rain!

MT Eli Eli I have to look that up it’s been a long time since I have been up there . That is one of the wettest places in the world . Somthing like 400 inches a year !

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope they have flood insurance...

We had a historic flood a few years back here in R.I.
    It was crazy! Real Flooding isn’t something we deal with often here. Half a section of my town was under water and I have friends who had to evacuate their homes. Selfishly all I could think about was how turned up the rivers and gravel would be and how much new stuff I’d find, I’m a bad person, lol.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, it sure did! Everything, native artifacts, 1800’s medicine bottles, old marbles, clay pipes, early 1900’s soda bottles all kinds of good stuff got churned up

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm...the Ohio River is at flood level now.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything you just listed, with the exception of pipes, I collect. One of these days, I have to search the Ohio River outside of Portsmouth. Portsmouth is really old, and had tons of cool bottles and misc. objects.

incredible how far that creek spread out . Great pictures be careful out there.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Flash floods are a different animal all together. This one time My dad and I went to a site in the morning. It was a place to find trade beads three mile walk into on railroad tracks before you make a one mile journey up hill to the site. we both were big into trade beads and had sifted all day. we could see a storm brewing over the mountain to the west but it was hard not to just sift. Each one of us said to other This is my last screen of dirt and we need to go. but that did not happen felt the drops of rain before we left then it was tooooooooo late. the rain came down so hard that 15' wide 10' deep dry was was over flowing and around the bends the water shot up 16' feet straight up i the air. They come quick and fast and this storm was over in an hour but it took us four to cross the wash.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Slow rising floodwaters at least give you a warning. Flash floods...

Your lucky to be alive man!

Hey Ethan, Those are great pictures. People sometimes assume that we know what is under that water but sometimes we get a dangerous surprise. Fast current can wash a road out very quickly.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to get my other picture up. It was a Jeep floating in the floodwaters, when the sign clearly stated that the road was closed.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops. WATER OVER ROADWAY, not ROAD CLOSED.

Name:	imagejpeg_0_9.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	319353

WATER OVER ROADWAY. Oh, really. What was your first clue? How about that Jeep floating down a makeshift river? Ya. We should put a sign up.

Exactly what was that idiot thinking!?

TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

The Jeep that you see floating, was actually a neighbor. I have seen him travel that road before, and he knows that big dip is there. Why he did that, I never will know.

Comment

Forecast for Florence is predicting 40 inches of rain on top of a 10 foot storm surge. It will takes years for NC to recover from this storm.
          Child of the tides

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            We are shocked when we get five inches here. But 40? I could never imagine the damage and the flooding. I am still praying. Keep safe!

Because flooding does not happen that often here, farmers plowed their fields in the creek floodplain. Their crops are ruined now, and with possible remnants of Florence coming, more flooding is expected. The guy who lives at the bottom of our ridge planted $100,000 dollars worth of soybeans. They're gone. All gone.

Comment

I already showed this but flash flood . Waterfalls shooting out of the mountain not falling and boom landslide .

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              Water is so powerful and destructive.
          Working...
          X