I love fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love fishing

A recent post about flint hooks kind of got me thinking abou how much I love to fish. I thought I would share this story with you all.
    There are so many ways to fish without a hook why would someone even bother making a flint hook? I have caught hundreds of fish with my bare hands. It is not hard to do. You just have to know how to do it. The first time was by accident. A couple of guys came to a pool where I was trout fishing with bait. It was Late August early September. Fly fisherman look down there noses at guys like me. I catch fish I use what ever means possible to catch them. They just looked at me and waded right out in front of me in an arrogant way. I moved a little closer to the falls I was fishing near. I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye I just watch that spot and boom there it is again. Trout were trying to go up the falls. So I sat down and watched the two guys hog the mid stream ( little did they know they were right on top of the trout) and boom there it is again a nice Rainbow jumps into the falls right next to the rock I was sitting on and struggeled to move up as it did I just reached over and grabbed it. I showed the two guys who were not catching a thing. LOL About five minutes later another this time a brown. I snatched it right up no trouble. LOL showed the two guys again. They did not believe I was catching these by hand and stopped and watched while i caught a third that way. One of them tells me that it isnt real fishing. Fly fishermen can be arrogant when talking to a bait guy. To this day if I go trout fishing I flip rocks I dig in banks covered in leaves for worms . I will stop at a pond and try to get some pearch bugs out of the muck. My vest was always loaded with stuff I was foraging up . Old gear, rusty lures I had found, I caught a trout once on a small yellow jackets nest. It still had larve in it so I guess the trout can smell that when it is in the water. My point is if I can figure this out when not in survival mode just imagine what the poeple who lived survival daily could do. What secrets they had for catching fish . I once just stood near a creek with a bat in my hand. I just spit right into the pool and a little fish swam up and looked at the spit that now had concentric rings moving outward and away from the sudden movement from the fall of spit into the water. As it looked up I swung the bat. I took me home a fish for dinner. Yeah that one was so big the picture weighed ten pounds. Now some of what I just wrote is factual. Some of it well maybe my kids believe it. LOL
    Last edited by Hoss; 09-20-2018, 04:01 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

I only catch goldfish - sized Bluegills, lol! That's a great story!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

They taste the same whether caught on a fly or hand fishing
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        not all fly fishermen are bad but I have met some real doozies. I bought a fly rod years ago and gave it a whirl. I could not do much with it so I wanted to catch fish on that critter. It is 9 feet long. I used to go to this little creek that had black berry bushes four and five feet deep right at the edge. I knew there was some good pools just beyond those briars so I would just bait up and reach over the top with that 9 foot pole . I caught some nice fish that way. There are millions of ways to catch a fish. But flint fish hooks is not one of them.

"Fishin' is fishin'." That a saying I coined up ten seconds ago.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
        Now some of what I just wrote is factual. Some of it well maybe my kids believe it. LOL
        Great stories Hoss, lol.

Unfortunately we don’t have much in the way of those pretty Trout streams in my part of the Nebraska/Kansas region but the catfishing is pretty good.
        I also like to do some bowfishing when the big Buffalo Carp are spawning and occasionally I will target common carp and gar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowfishing_May4_2018b.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	320844

Comment

Hey Hoss, I saw you on TV. The man called you Grizzly. I have caught lots of fish by hand and with a spear. One day I was out in the bay fishing with crawlers. I caught my limit in a short time. Two guys motor by and badmouth me for keeping the fish. I really do appreciate that catch and release thing.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Like most fishing stories without pictures Matt, it was enjoyable. Click image for larger version

Name:	laugh.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	320850
            As for do I believe every word of your story, my lips are sealed. Click image for larger version

Name:	9003014-emoticon-zipping-his-mouth-Stock-Photo.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	320851
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Does anyone care to share a favorite recipe? Here is my favorite recipe for shad. I get a piece of two by 8 and cut it just long enough so it will fit the middle shelf in the oven. I filet the shad. Season the fish with my secret rub. I then broil it on the board. 30 minutes in the broiler. I take it off the rack and let it sit for 3 minutes. Then I throw away the shad and eat the board. I cant stand shad. LOL
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

So the first fish I ever caught was a catfish. I did not want to let it go but I also did not want to eat it. So I asked my dad if I could keep it as a pet. He told me that it was not a good idea because well they live in water. He told me I could keep it for a little while because catfish can live out of water for a little while. I got very attached to the fish and would place it into a small pond when it needed water. Every day I would keep it out of water for a little longer till eventually it it would make it all day out of water. He was the coolest pet ever! One day my mom got tired of cleaning up all of his slime off the remote control so she threw it in the small pond and he drowned made me so sad!
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Originally posted by Sugaree View Post
                  she threw it in the small pond and he drowned made me so sad!
                  Lol Sugaree, now that was funny!

Comment

Okay Matt, you had me “hooked” for a little while before I realized you were spinning out one too many tall yarns! 🤣
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                    X