Foods from your state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foods from your state

As, a guy, and a teen at that, my life revolves around certain times of the day. Breakfast time, lunch time and dinnertime. Having lived in Kentucky for a while, and traveling to different states across the Eastern half of the USA, I have found that states have their own foods, and own specialty's. As a curiosity, I thought it would be cool if members from different states gave a few choices as to what is a staple food for that state. I'll start with Kentucky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	burgoo-horiz-a-1800.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	326163

This is Burgoo. What in the heck is Burgoo? Burgoo is a slow cooked and well-seasoned stew made with whatever meats and veggies you got. In Kentucky, that is usually mutton, succotash and other mish-mosh ingredients.

Name:	20130926-263971-Goetta-Raposo.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	326164

This is Goetta. Goette is a German concoction of pork, beef whole-grain oats and fresh onions and spices. It is a treasured part of Northern Kentucky.

Name:	Tandoori-Mutton-chops.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	326165

Mutton. This is my favorite. Mutton is (usually shredded ) sheep meat slow cooked over hickory chips for 18 hours, and covered in a special BBQ sauce.

Name:	Hot-Brown-Credit-Chris-Witzke-3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	326168

This is known as Hot Brown. Hot Brown was invented in a Louisville hotel in the 1920s. It is an open face sandwich with sliced turkey, tomatoes, creamy mornay sauce, and crisp bacon on thick Texas toast.

Name:	transparentpie-24_Fotor-1200x900.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	326167

Transparent pie. Oh, the name alone makes my mouth water. It was invented about an hour from where I live. All it takes is sugar, butter, cream and vanilla, to make a creamy custard-like pie.

Name:	ale-8-one-bottle-topper1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	326166
    And who could leave out Ale-8? Ale-8 is an iconic citrus ginger flavored soda that is sold everywhere around here.

We also have beer cheese, Henry Bain sauce, Kentucky Fried chicken (duh!), Blue Monday candy bars, Modjeska, Bourbon balls, Spider cornbread, Chow-chow and a lot of other good stuff. I can't wait to see ya'lls foods!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I take it that you like sardines?

Anything with Quahogs in it,chowdah and clam cakes,Dels lemonade, coffee milk, doughboys with powdered sugar, and hot wieners “all the way”, around here we call em Gaggiz
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Was that English? Lol!

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, as well they are gaggiz. Also known as belly busters, and New York System, though they probably have never seen them in New York, lol. And don't forget Johnnycakes. I never understood why coffee milk was not a nation wide drink. Del's is getting to be nation wide.

Pizza, Italian beefs and Chicago dogs, yum!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Johnnycakes. Yes, they are found outside Rhode Island. But they are ours, so there....

Rhode Island

Comment

BBQ, Cheerwine, Krispy Kreme, Bojangles, are our healthy options. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4145.PNG
Views:	138
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	326296
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I have eaten everything you listed except cheerwine. I am into healthy eating, myself you know.

STeak with mixed veggies with Potatoes Green bell peppers and onions. Well may not be a favorite all over TN but it was a favoriet last night at my house. Click image for larger version

Name:	nomnomnom.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	326337
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Hoss we use to make those potatoes while camping .. yum

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Tam I do these Taters on the grill while I am grilling the steak. Wash taters leave skin on cut up some bell peppers and onions sprinkle with paprika salt pepper add a quarter stick of butter wrap it all in foil and 500 degrees 15 mintutes on each side. Those taters can be a meal in its own right. Sometimes I just make them with some eggs.

Just to mention a few...Slingers, St. Louis style pizza, St. Louis or Kansas City style bbq, red hot riplets, provel cheese, toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake, ozark pudding, fitzs soda, and of course the King of Beers. All of them call Missouri their home and we do all of them better than anyone, anywhere.
      Last edited by Broken Arrow; 10-18-2018, 03:35 AM.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• gregszybala
        gregszybala commented
        Editing a comment
        ohhhh, bbq!!!

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Bbq!!

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed? Q is always better with two b's on front of it

This is going to take awhile . It’s an ethnic melting pot . Everyone has seen my spam posts.

Comment

Well I have had a problem uploading anything from my iPhone to this site that’s why I have not been on much . Files exceed all the time .
        Things I will miss when in Georgia but I guess I can meet up with Tom because I love Kim Chee a Korean picked radish .
        Kalbi whoa a Korean short rib they barbacue but not barbecue sauce no words can discribe this heart attack fatty rib ..
        Then Haupia pie .. a coconut milk base pudding type mixed with chocolate .. droll and I don’t like sweets . Really good fresh sushi . I can catch it and make it on the boat here ..

Comment

slime gullumy is with beans corn and a few other things black eyed peas my dad made it

slime its made w977e
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            What's up chase! We been missing ya man!

Its hard to pass through east Tx. without trying the fried fish and the bbq. Click image for larger version

Name:	222.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	326368 Click image for larger version

Name:	223.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	326369
          east Tx.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            I love some fried fish! The bark on that que looks fantastic

• hudson
            hudson commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes me hungry lol

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            Meee too! I really want some fish for breakfast.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
          Its hard to pass through east Tx. without trying the fried fish and the bbq. Click image for larger version

Name:	222.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	326368 Click image for larger version

Name:	223.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	326369
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Ooooohhh Noooooo
            Now I’m starving !!!
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
              This is going to take awhile . It’s an ethnic melting pot . Everyone has seen my spam posts.
              I like Spam but Gertruda does not hahahahaha. I also like liverwurst
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                Liverwurst on white bread with raw onion and mustard. I have not had it in years but used to like it a lot. That and Pimento loaf

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                PS I thought her name was Brunhilda?

• tomclark
                tomclark commented
                Editing a comment
                Liverwurst (only Kahn's lol) on white bread mitt onions undt ketchup!! Gawd, Pimento Loaf haven't had since I was a kid, my Dad ate it often.
                Yeah Jeez I forgot, Besty Clark's name IS Brunhilda, not Gertruda. 40 year memory drain. hahahahaha oh boy it's doghouse time lolol.
            Working...
            X