Gettysburg '93

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettysburg '93

If you guys haven't watched this movie, you need to. I watched this movie when I was ten. I have been a passionate student of the Civil War ever since. The music, the realisim, the heros…

The music is the best music from any movie I have ever seen. Don't worry about the time length. You guys need to buy it, download it, whatever folks do these days. You'll love it.

Here are a few sneak peaks. It is way better if you turn the volume up.

And besides, Sam Elliot is in there. Who doesn't like Sam Elliot?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Absolutely awesome trailers KP. Think I'll take a watch on the movie. Had my Great Great Grandfather James A. Whitt wounded at Gettysburg. I'll take the time to see his battle.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's the funny part KP. When I was home on leave from the Navy back in 1967, My Grandfather told me about his Great Grandfather being in the Civil War. Grandpa was laughing when he told me that John Whitt (not James) had deserted a couple of times because he was homesick and went home to, I think he said. Halifax, Va. At any rate John always returned on his own and the last time, he came back to his unit in March of 1863 and wound up in the Battle of Gettysburg. Anyway - when my Granpa was telling me the story, I didn't think it was funny at all, especially when he told me John had deserted. When I did my genealogy research, I found it was all true.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya, i'd be a little steamed too! My 3x great grandfather served for only one week. That was depressing. But my 3x great uncle Daniel Trautman fought the entire war. He had been to South Mountain, Antietam, Second Mannasas, the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, the list keeps going. His two brothers were drafted.

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Chuck my Great Great grandfather was also wounded at Gettysburg he was shot in the leg. He returned and fought on. He was on the muster roll at Appomattox. Amazing how many major battles he fought with company K of the Stanley Guard. He lived a long life but was hobbled from Gettysburg. Lucky he make it through and I'm lucky to exist.

looks like a good movie...I’ll have to watch it.
    I spent a weekend at Gettysburg touring the various battlefields, quite impressive standing where it all took place. You can almost see the people, smell the gunpowder and get an eerie feeling of awe.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      It was definitely awe inspiring when I went last. Visiting spots where over 50,000 casualties happened to both sides was surreal.

Hey KP interesting subject. . A fellow retired electrician friend of mine.. does the civil war re-enactment thing and is always going down there for the meets.. .I fired the black powder rifle a few times. .. made the lead bullets and all. . I think it's bigger than 50 caliper.. what a jolt..... He and his wife teach a gun course here in Connecticut which I think I'll take soon so as to get my fire arms permit ....all I ever shot was my buddys 22 revolver and that civil war musket ..what a difference ..haha
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      The biggest caliber used in the war was .69. That'll kick like a mule!

KP, went to see it when it was a limited run in theaters. It’s one you never forget. Bought the soundtrack on CD and still listen to the sometimes haunting music. Imperfect men no doubt but their sense of duty, honor, and patriotism is almost beyond understanding.
    I remember the story (hopefully correctly) of Theodore Roosevelt being commissioned to assimilate a voluntary force to go to Cuba. I was amazed the some congressmen volunteered to go fight. If I remember correctly, there were to be 1000 volunteers, Mr Roosevelt had to turn away some to keep the number to 1000. This was in 1898.
    Different mentality than what we see now.
    Northern Ky

Comment

KP - here's an interesting historical comparison. The Vietnam War ran from 1964 - 1973 (American active participation - 9 years) with the total American dead at 58,220. The Civil War ran from 1861 - 1865 and had a total dead of 215,000 with over 7,800 (Union and Confederate) killed on the one day of fighting at Gettysburg. The Battle of Gettysburg was the bloodiest battle of the whole Civil War. When looking at these numbers - we have to remember that we were fighting on American soil against fellow Americans and had a fairly accurate accounting of war casualties (maybe not so accurate from the Confederate side). Conversely, during Vietnam, we didn't have an accurate accounting of the North Vietnamese that were killed during the war. No matter how you slice it, it's a very, very high price to pay. Can you imagine the casualties (both military and civilian) had today's technology been available during the Civil War. Just thinking out loud here KP. Not many people are really aware of these statistics.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        There are reports that the entire casulties from the Civil War was over 700,000 killed, wounded and missing. Most deaths were from disease. One of my ancestors who fought, was shot in the chest at the Wilderness, and lived.

The numbers are staggering. What drives me nuts is that people don't even realize it, or care! They say, "Yea. Civil War. Cool." And they don't even know what happened!

Click image for larger version

Name:	50th PA at Beaufort, SC.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	327342

This is the one of the photos of the regiment my 3x great uncles were in. It was taken in 1861 in Beaufort SC. In the following four years of war, 348 out of 1,889 would be lost.

Comment

The Battle of Gettysburg resulted in approximately 58,000 casualties of which about 10,000 were killed on both sides. It also resulted in the deaths of many General officers on both sides. Had Lee heeded the advice of Longstreet the battle would never have been fought. The losses of the Confederacy were catastrophic to their cause while the losses to the Union though great and terrible were not catastrophic to their cause. I have ancestors who fought on both sides but far as I know none were engaged in that battle. As for historic comparisons, I've read that more Americans died in the Civil War than all other wars we ever fought from the Revolutionary War thru WWII. I don't know how the recent wars in the middle east have effected that comparison. It was a terrible time for the civilian population in the South who suffered heavily from local guerillas preying on people on both sides, particularly in the states of Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri. It indeed was a bad time for our country. Armies of both sides took the animals and produce from rural farmers often without paying for what they took.
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I truly believe that if Gen. Jackson was alive at the time, the battle would have either been won, or fought in another location. If he was alive, the South would have won the war.

I have read numerous accounts of the war on both the civilian side and army side. It was tough for both. But I think reconstruction was the worst of it.

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Jackson was more of an adherent to Lee's aggressive strategy and as such he would have gone along with Lee's decision to push aggressively into PA. The south would have still lost the battle whether or not Jackson was alive or not. The South with its limited resources, the blockading of their ports and the loss of the Mississippi River to navigation could never have won. And with Sherman leaving Georgia and South Carolina in ruins and Grant in control of the Army of the Potomoc and the whole Union army it is a wonder that Lee held on as long as he did. And shortly after that with Johnston surrendering to Sherman in North Carolina and Richmond in flames it was all over.

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, your probably right. There are way more factors than just one battle.

I fact checked my earlier post and found I was thinking of God’s and Generals instead of Gettysburg. I enjoyed both immensely but God’s and Generals was amazing to me. That’s the sound track I purchased. LOL, even had a Bob Dylan song in it that was very good.
        Northern Ky

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, I watched Gods and Generals too, and I loved it! But personally I like Gettysburg so much better.

If my schedule permits, in July, I am going to post a three part series about the battle. Post one, day one. Post two, day two. Post three, day three. It should be fun and historical.

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          KP - I'm watching Gettysburg 93 now. So go ahead and let your 3 part series rip. I want to get back up to Gettysburg sometime.

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          No problem! I would like to get back there myself. I might - and I do mean might - go up there in November. We are heading that way.
      Working...
      X