Gator Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gator Alert

Man somebody reported a gator in 1 of the creeks I look on. This part of GA there is no gators and no Cotton Mouths they have always said. But Sunday somebody saw a gator I looked the story up online and that sucker is 11 ft long and was sighted upstream from the section I look on. I usually wade the creek some sections are deep so I go around them I just never thought of having to watch out for gators. I lived in Florida for a long time and know how some of them can be aggressive during matting season. If there is 1 there is probably 2. I will have to be on high alert now no telling where that sucker will be at.
    NW Georgia,

I meant to put this one in the off the wall topics, sorry
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• SDhunter
      SDhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I moved it for you. Better keep a lookout!

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for moving it. I guess I will be on high alert for now on. Its upstream but that doesnt mean a thing due to the current moving down to my area. I have around 2 miles of creek that the owner owns. I have seen some weird things without going into detail over the last year that made me say humm like a slide. I figured it might of been a big beaver but now Idk maybe not.

What part of GA are you in SH ? Being from N'Eastern IL I am no gator expert but when I see that show Swamp People and they pull a 10 footer in the boat that is one big creature...be careful pal...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Its Cartersville just google gator sighting for Cartersville and 2 articles will pop up one has the pic of it. Its not tiny and I have had run ins in FL with them before.

When they bite ya just remember to ROLL WITH 'EM! I dive (not swim...) in gator waters. They are everywhere. Never had a problem, none were accustomed to humans or were fed. Did see one 4 footer laying sideways up against a log/branches jam in the river and thought it was dead... I poked it. Wasn't dead. Big gators and biggest turtles (big gators crunch big cooters all the time.) like to lay in the middle of the channel on the bottom. Fear of gators and snakey wakey places keeps some hunters out of really good spots. Get a spotter, LOLOL.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang Tom
      I thought I had to worry about rattlesnakes and wild hogs...I have no worries at all !

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Tom
      There use to be a kid I talked to in Florida. I think his name was Kurty or something like that..He got into some kind of trouble diving in the water for artifacts/fossils..I’m wondering what happened to him ? He was a Jewish guy.. I tried to buy a meg tooth from him put he just wasn’t reasonable. I ended up getting a nice one from Cliff Jackson. My son wanted it to give to one of his college professors so I couldn’t say no...Now, I’m toothless......JJ

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom I know usually they arent aggressive but this one due to its size and no other large bodies of water that I am aware of must mean that sucker might of been living there for many of years. I wonder how many times I might of walked past it thinking it was a log not looking real hard due to they arent here. The river is many miles away down stream from where I look and thats the only way I know it could of gotten there which means it swims in my neck of the woods.

I read somewhere that gators had bad bacteria on their teeth. If someone got a bite from one that strong antibiotics were necessary as quickly as possible to keep gang green away, or becoming septic... I might be off on that...How can anyone keep focus on looking for artifacts with dinosaurs in the water ?
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      They do have that in their jaws. If you get bit they drag you under and roll till you drown then leave you to rot and return later to eat. I remember a guy in Florida woke up in a lake in the reeds to find out he had been attacked then dragged into the lair and left. He said as he walked he could see bubbles in the water like it was following him. How scary but he made it out to tell his story.

That show on TV says ya got a quarter size spot on back of head to kill em ...use arrowhead
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      What ?????????

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks but I have something more special than a arrowhead if that thing comes at me.

I just thought I was going crazy !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Just joking ha ha

Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right Tom....I knew it u can use an arrowhead.hahah

One time a friend and myself had a 10 ft jon boat fishing in Florida and went to a unknown lake with no name searching for the big bass. While we were paddling through the reeds and floating plants we looked down and saw a bunch of babies. We looked at each other and said lets get out of here. Looked up and saw mom in the distance watching us as we paddled thru her nest by mistake. She was a big one and could of turned out tiny boat with ease. Never went back to that section of the lake again.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

My Mom and Dad spend the winter near Vero Beach in a little burg called Orchid Island. Nice quiet little area on A1A. Last spring there was an 8 footer that wandered into the area. Its not known as an alligator area but the guys that came and caught it said it was a male and they will wander quite a distance looking for females during breeding season.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        If its a brackish river they are in it. I use to see many in the Indian river towards central Florida.

When Wayne was a teen he use to just jump in the water and get um . 4 big brothers all alone in the woods , streams and creeks is a reality show in its own right .
      This is a don’t do this at home alert but they are delicious . If you ever see that monster spear point I have it’s from a gator pond in Webster county Georgia . Broken but you can’t resist the lure of costail plain Chert sticking out .
      They are around and being in Fl you know how they end up drain pipes to swimming pools .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yikes I think I would of left it where it was.

The worst part about this story is I’m picturing myself looking down.. hunting points and not noticing a gator nearby
      Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I drove by it yesterday and looked water was still to high so I decided to go to another place. Where I have to park is a deep hole to get in and all I could of think of is seeing it while I was in waist deep water. Water is a bit chilly rite now anyways.

Update on this, I saw the owner yesterday and he thinks the sighting is close to where I go in at. He told me that before the sighting he had lost one of his cows on the last flood. He said he looked for it and found the cow wedged in a tree along the creek in the roots that were in the water. He told me he got his tractor and pulled it out then buried it. I then told him thats what gators will do with their catches and he was probably close by watching. Im glad the farmer wasnt attacked. Im hoping the DNR finds it and relocates it out of there soon.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Finding points is difficult enough, I couldn't imagine having to also look out for monsters.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Well with all of the recent flooding Im hoping it has made its way to the river and then off to Alabama but wont know till the water gets back to normal. If I go back in I think I will use my yak instead of walking in the water.

Just imagine the music from Jaws...
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Boy, Thanks for the mental pic
      Working...
      X