Driving Off the Mountainside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Off the Mountainside

Had an exciting day today. Took the downhill neighbor out on the mountain to find a Christmas Tree. We knew where we were going and had been there many times before. However, today was different. The ground was really saturated from all the rain and snow we'd had recently. We always took my '89 Bronco cause we usually went off road to reach the site. Today was really different. I had the Bronco in 4x4 mode and didn't think I was traveling overly fast when we rounded a curve but the front end continued straight - right over the mountain side. I used very gradual steering trying to get the front end headed uphill instead of crabbing along the edge. Didn't work. We continued to travel down hill going side ways. We were looking at each other waiting for the Bronco to start the full roll but it held the mountainside. We came to rest against a couple of small trees after about 15-20 feet of sliding sideways. If we'd have missed those trees we might well have traveled another 40 feet and over the cliff edge for a 75-100' drop. Whew!!
    I didn't have my camera for insitus but this is the after pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0343.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	336316 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0342.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	336317

Not much damage considering what it could have been. We did get the Christmas tree, after we walked to my neighbors who pulled me back up the mountainside with his tractor. Talk about lessons learned.

Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Dang Chuck. You were just talking about this. I’m glad you’re okay.
    South Dakota

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that Gary - It was scary and probably one of the most hopeless feelings to just sit there waiting for it to roll. I quit trying to steer because everything I did just speeded us up. A little more caution on my part would have avoided the whole thing. Appreciate ya Gary.

sorry about your Bronco but I am glad you are ok Chuck .
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hoss. Yea - the Bronco is paid for so I got some body work to do now. Appreciate ya

Wow! That was too close! Glad to see you are alright though. Truck damage can be fixed, but not people damage!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks KP. Good thing the Bronco is paid for.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      The truck damage might hurt your feelings but thank God y’all walked away !

Glad you're ok Chuck! Bet that was a wild ride.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was BA - one that I don't want to repeat.

Hey Chuck, Count your blessings my friend.
    Glad to hear that you came through that with no personal injuries.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure did Ron. The Good Lord was riding with us. Thanks

Amazing, Chuck. Your heart must still be racing. You get to celebrate another Christmas, my friend!
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea Charlie - I'm too old for that kind of excitement. Thanks - Appreciate ya

That just don't sound like fun, maybe in old days, glad you made it ok Chuck
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny. Appreciate ya

Wow Chuck your very fortunate glad your ok ..
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      That I am Red. Appreciate ya

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes the Good Lord was watching out for ya. ..and I like the 89 bronco ..good old u,s,a,. Metal truck

You and your friend are truly blessed! That sounds scary.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was scary Josie and the Good Lord was watching over us for sure. Appreciate ya

Glad you are ok Chuck! I know the feeling I've rolled down a mountainside before and thought it was my end while rolling. A tree finally saved me. The tree had a yellow jacket nest in it. I'm now scared to death of Mountain roads especially when someone else has control of the wheel. This place would not be the same without you so glad you are ok!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not afraid Sugaree - just a little more cautious, especially in this type of weather. Appreciate ya

What We do for Christmas Trees. I'm glad those Trees were There Chuck! Look's like The Door took most of It, The Bed a little also I guess. If You would have had lift or bigger Tires like Some do It might have rolled. About 3 or 4 spot's on The Bed could be much worse though.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup Josh. I'm already getting parts for the repairs. But you're right - It could have been much, much worse. Appreciate ya

Wow Chuck, what a beautiful view you have at your house, glad no one was hurt.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      This location is one of the main reasons we choose to live here. The view off the back porch is super - I can see all the way into Kentucky. Thanks

CHUCK!!! gawd! Glad y'all are OK woi
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom - not one of my better days but at least I lived to tell about it. Appreciate ya

Merry Christmas !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Working...
    X