Late Man Tool Kit!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Man Tool Kit!!!

What do all you guys think a Basic authentic tool kit might consist of?...I mean what basic tools for authenticating might consist of..That each of us should have with our love for authentic artifacts...

Pullen...You read my mind I swear I was just wondering the same exact thing. (You know what they say about great minds..don't you!B))
    Someone on one of the forums mentioned a jewelers loop with a min. 10x magnification. I think there are some that also have a built in light.
    That's all I really think would be needed, other than knowing what to look for and if the material matches known materials that were used in the area it was said to be found.
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this subject will soon fill us both in.
    jane

Comment

True Jane but what bout catching restoration..?

Comment

Well pullen that's not so easy to answer, maybe someone will jump in and answer that one. I'm sure if it was restored unless the person was a pro at what he was doing there would be differences in the coloring and feel.
        Every piece I own...I either personally found or saw it be found...but even with that being said I am not any safeer from getting a reproduction piece than someone who buys them occasionally.
        My very own brother once traded a state champion coon dog he had.... for some supposedly "rare" artifacts... that turned out to be fakes...My brother was absolutely furious...well what do you think my idiot brother did????? Threw them as far as he could out in a cornfield...now tell me how STUPID can you be! I told him so too, in my sisterly way.
          jane

Comment

Gosh!..The coon dog?. Ive heard blacklights to uv lights detect restoration..Thats two items for a tool kit.We got it going girl...

Comment

Yelp that's the sad truth...poor little state champion coondoggie traded for fake arrowheads. He was offered not even a week or so before $2,000 for the dog...and turned it down, and ended up with notta.
            I'm a big believer in what comes around goes around so they will get theirs in due time. Oh yeal!
            I think your right about the lights...I remember reading that somewhere too.
            So we need a loop, a black/uv light and a book of knowledge. You got any extra books of knowledge you can spare????  :blink:
            I also read not to trust the fact that it is said to have a COA. They are being reproduced as well...so if I bought a high dollar arrowhead I would want to have it certified myself no matter how many papers it already had.  :angry:

Comment

Its just that if we all could authenticate...well that would change the world of fakes..Im thinking the book of knowledge would lean towards material types in a specified area..How bout just being able to authenticate..Maybe im crazy......crazy like a fox unh? If a material type is out of place,can that make it not authentic?   Jon

Comment

No, I think you are right Jon! Makes sense to me gotta go wife say's going to watch Expendables X-mas present Happy New Year all!!!

Comment

Jon...I agree with you completely. If all serious collectors would take the time to learn what to look for before buying a artifact, we could put a serious hurtin on the reproduction business. Smas em down like the vermin they are!
                  With a jewelers loop...look for marks made from modern day tools and any minute fishy looking specks of material in ground areas.
                  Use the uv and black lights to detect any restoration...and last but not least don't accept that just because it has a COA paper that it's a safe buy...COA papers can also be faked...get it certified by a well known and trusted authenticator...one that you trust.
                  I want to add too that when buying online such as from ebay...you don't have the piece in your hand to examine...this is just my opinion, but I would never buy from someone that didn't allow me enough time to get it authenicated.
                  OK sly like a fox...what did I forget?
                  jane

Comment

Authenticator Tool Kit:
                    1. Light- sunlight preferred but good strong direct light is essential- I don't care what you're looking at.
                    2. Magnification- with good light, a 10 power lens is usually sufficient. However, the depth of field and control that you get with a binocular scope is way better than any hand lens for exams.
                    3. Water (and sometimes a little mild soap)- to wash the dirt off so you can actually see the material and flaking. Dirt is NOT a sign of age. Running a little water over a point will often show and restoration, or any wax or oil applied.
                    4. Acetone- this solvent will dissolve most paints and chemical stains. It will not hurt real mineralization or patina, but should be used with a q-tip sparingly.
                    5. Blacklight- on SOME materials, it will show a change in flaking or restoration. On other materials it may show nothing.
                    6. Small wooden tool- a toothpick will work, but I use locust thorns to poke and prod at mineral deposits under magnification to determine if they are applied or natural.
                    7. Basic knowledge- you must learn what ancient grinding, patinization and flaking look like. This takes time and experience, which are not gained overnight.
                    8. Detailed knowledge- If a collector collects a type or area, they need to learn all there is to know about the relics and lithic materials used in that area.
                    9. Time- take your time looking over relics, do not rush! Some artifacts can be authenticated in less than a minute. Others may take hours of examination and even then- if you have 1% doubt about a relic- PASS IT BY!
                    10. Common sense- easier said than done- exotic materials and exotic types are just that - exotic- not common, and often faked. It is human nature to want to obtain that which we cannot find on our own. More people buy fakes because they follow their emotions- believing a story, ignoring the signs, or wanting something for nothing- instead of using their knowledge and tools or their common sense.
                    There may be more tools that others use, but these are mine.

Comment

ATNN. Honest outgoing ebay sellers...You might be able to put together a basic Late Man Tool Kit to profit from in authenticity,from Our list...Number 1..Maybe can profit Number 2..Help us all to cut down on reproductions  Number 3 save a lot of trouble and bad feelings amongst all.......Jon

Comment

Oh yea ....You done good Jane.

Comment

Well Cliff I don't have the Black Light, getting more confident (not comfortable though) with Ohio materials, not to say someone couldn't still pull a fast one, but an out of sort material would be discarded by me in a heartbeat on Ohio materials. I think the hardest one is as you said though, emotions, the thing you don't have and your afraid you never will.
                            The 9-1/4" inch dovetail made out of gem flintridge material on ebay for $180.00 is not real!! But emotions will grab someone and they will probably buy it anyway. Nice list, I feel better about my tool kit now Cliff.

Comment

Well thank ya Jon for the pat on the back...couldn't have done it without your help my friend. I think "we" done a pretty darn good job figuring it out together.
                            I knew someone more knowledgeable would soon chime in and set us straight...thanks Cliff.
                            BTW your ebay idea sounds like a winner.
                              jane

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X