No announcement yet.

Late Man Tool Kit!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It still would be Authentic right?.If i had a handful points dont know where they are from so they arent authentic anymore?..

Comment

Its just a clue to authenticity. Aint got tang knives here so iffin I saw that I would say that guy is making up provenance and I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole! I bought that huge collection with several hundred with no idea were they came from except midwest. They are authentic so I sell as midwest pieces. I wont make up provenance. People do cause ya can get more money for them. Types do travel but its an exception to the rule, just another piece to the puzzle! Mark.

Comment

A clue to auhenticity?...True area is a big thing to buyers nowadays.Luckily I dont have any like that.Im sure theres more than likely a lot of points being sold mis represented to area moreso as to being authentic...When I say authentic i mean a Man long time ago made......No matter where.....Will an Authenticator kill a point because of area?....jn

Comment

A piece to the puzzle?...man this puzzle aready been put together...time take it apart put it back together again..........I still believe and cant be convinced otherwise...we can authenticate our own points and you know what i mean authenicate!....Hoping to see the day we do..........jn

Comment

Jon what Im trying to say is certain types and lithics are found in certain areas. Tang knives and rootbeer flint are a couple thousand miles southwest of Michigan! An Elko eared made of flintridge or a thebes made of obsidian!? I would say they would be a "clue" to authenticity. Im not to proud to say a GOOD repoduction would get me. They are getting real good at faking flaking and patinas. Knowledge of lithics and types from certain areas need to be in late man tool kit in my opinion. Bob Whalen (ebay) had an awesome flintridge dovetail on last year. It was in a couple famous collections and in Whos-Who book. He deemed it a modern reproduction because the quarry that material came from was unaccessible by ancient man, too deep. Mark.

Comment

Understood Mark...I have no doubt materials have their regions...Oh! like a Ensor made from Hornstone..yea for sure it would be a clue....People faking patinas and such?..Yea I know but we should all least know what a good patina looks like...I look at Patinas from points i find and points that are papered...Then course ive peeked out repros...theres a difference.....but yes patinas are being faked by dishonest people...Im just hoping for a better way some day....jn

Comment

Can they actually make a rock Patina out....I dont know but dont think so.They mostly apply junk to the rock dont they....If they can make a rock patina out?.Ive heard burying and stuff like that but dont go for it...If they can make a rock patina out...How?...

Comment

Thanks Mark.....Thanks All!..time to wrap this thread up...As far as regions Go?...Modern knappers already knowledeable...They know to make an ensor out of edwards chert or a Turkeytail out of slate and so on.......Time for a new Thread for learning....

Comment

Working...
                  X