Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love Bison bison.

I love Bison bison.
    Bison are back, and that benefits many other species on the Great Plains.

Bison once dominated the Great Plains but were nearly wiped out by hunters in the 1800s. Now scientists are learning that bison’s presence improves plant and wildlife diversity on the prairies.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

I have also been enamored by that majestic beast and how its very existence played such a role in the ecosystem of the great plains. Not far from me is Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie. A couple years back during a freak warm spell in late January my daughter and I took a walk and were able to get close to the herd and get some good pics. With your permission Tom I could post some of them.
    Last edited by BabaORiley; 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      Baba we'd love to see 'em!

It was an exceptionally warm day in January of that year. My daughter pictured below was telling me that morning how she had never seen a bison. I told her that I knew a place where we could see them that was just about a half hour away. It was a great day for that time of year so we headed out. It was about a mile and a half walk to them but the herd was right next to the fence. The boss of the herd never came near the fence but stood back a ways watching. He was freaking huge!!! A couple of the young bulls tried getting fresh with some of the cows and all it took was a look from him and a step in that direction and that was all over with. It was a wonderful afternoon with my youngest daughter.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. I've only seen them in zoos or one/two on a ranch.

Great info and photos you guys. It's amazing we nearly wiped them out. The photo in your link says a lot about how and why.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice to see any species making a comeback these days. Cool looking animals - I wouldn't trust getting too close: but, then again.. I'll run from cows..

On the buffalo trail..

Last edited by Olden; 01-19-2019, 08:51 PM.
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it

There are several ranchers in Tx raising them to process. The meat is much leaner that that of cattle.
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Very cool as usual Tom . My brother had a small plane and we would fly over to Catalina island off Cal coast to go diving .
        The Wriggly family as in gum owned it back then and there were wild bison all over that island . Getting off the flight path to teach me an optical illusion approach and trust your instruments Tam !!!! we could see the herds .
        and BTW that fly by got my heat rate up to 144 I took it .

Comment

I just want to go live on that ranch for 6 months - year .
          ill do anything .

Comment

N. Carolina Zoo "Calf, the American Bison"

Bison love Spring. I love Bison bison. They are so crepuscular! WOI!
            Last edited by tomclark; 03-21-2019, 03:55 PM.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

I would have to fence off the 38 acres but I want one that leads to 2 .
              Biggest perdator I have is a bob cat . They will be fine .

Comment

Tom my brothers had airplane and we would fly to Catilina Island for the day to just dive . The Wriggly family like in gum owns it and there use to be herds there .

Comment

Popular Science article discussing/relating why we should love and need Bison bison...besides them being so crespusular lol.
                  Roaming bison are routinely captured and sold for slaughter, maybe causing loss of the gandering gene, weakening the species and their benefit to the environment. I will always want a "home" where the buffalo can roam boom.
                  https://www.popsci.com/wild-buffalo-...vation?src=syn
                  Last edited by tomclark; 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

We used to raise them. Hobby my dad had for a little while. Got to know their temperment pretty well. Extremely athletic. You could make a snowball and throw it at them. They could spin and kick it out of the air. I had a video of it. Will see if i can find it. They can outrun cattle easy. Gotta have a really stout electric fence to keep them anywhere. We had an old bull that got sick and as he was dying the cows kept trying to push him upright and onto his feet. Afer he died they just stood in a cirle around him for hours. I think they were mourning his passing. Once someone stole a calf from us in the middle of the night. Was found floating in a creek 25 miles away...
                    Last edited by Cskelton; 06-06-2019, 12:40 PM. Reason: Glitched and auto posted after one word.
                    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

I remember about 30 years ago seeing a few Bison on western Colorado ranches and in The Teton Valley . Now they can be seen in most western states. Wife and I buy/fill our deep freezer with 1/8 of a buffalo every year! Very tasty. I mix 1/2 Buffalo with 1/2 Venison sausage. Grill up burgers on the Treager grill.

Comment

There are Bison in Golden Gate Park brought from the Great Plains in 1890.

I love to see them when I visit San Francisco.

They make me sad though.

Like thinking of Ishi , who would have seen and marvelled at them, when he too was a specimen in that city.
                        California

Comment

Working...
                        X