Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumble - The Indians Who Rocked the World

From AlterNet:
    “Rumble” contains one of the killer riffs in all of rock ’n’ roll and essentially marks the invention of the power chord, but one of the secrets of the song’s history is that Link Wray was Native American. His ethnicity, like that of many Natives who made contributions to music, was left out of almost all his press. The documentary Rumble: The Indians That Rocked the World, which airs on PBS starting January 21, addresses the larger contribution Natives made to music. It’s an important story with many layers that involves both the human and cultural genocide that came with European conquest. The film showcases a lot of musical talent, though the legendary Wray is arguably only the fourth greatest Native guitar player—after Jesse Ed Davis (who played with Taj Mahal, Jackson Browne, and John Lennon), Robbie Robertson, and Jimi Hendrix."

Premieres January 21, 2019
    PBS @ 10PM

RUMBLE is the electric story of how Native American influence shaped rock and roll, a missing chapter in music history.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Cool Olden I'm gonna check out the PBS show Thanx
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be tuning in as well....
      Rhode Island

Comment

That was great, Don! Independent Lens always does a great job. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Miller and Buffy Sainte-Marie about 10-12 years ago at a symposium whose subject was Native American music and social change. Bought Miller's greatest hits cd the next day, lol.

Last edited by CMD; 01-22-2019, 10:26 AM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          I wasn't familiar with Bill Miller before this: appreciate it Charlie!

Ghost Dance was performed by Bill Miller (with an assist from Buffy Sainte Marie) at the University of Rhode Island series on Songs of Social Justice (www.so...

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll post another Miller tune for ya, Don! Lol, there I am at the 3:58 mark of the video you posted!
          Last edited by CMD; 01-23-2019, 12:42 PM.

Thanks Don, just watched and had no idea. thanks
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hey Greg, Sounds like it was good. After sitting up most of the previous night watching the eclipse, I turned on the TV, and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Now that it's been on the telly - it's online at http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/rumble/ . for the others who may have been a bit sleep deprived
          Last edited by Olden; 11-03-2021, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Don, oh my goodness, you posted the very occasion in which I met Bill and Buffy. In fact, there I am shaking hands with Bill at the 3:58 mark of the video you posted!! Lol. I had no idea, lol. Anyway, thanks, I was just about spot on time wise, 2006. Here's another cut of Ghostdance. I was going to post it anyway today, as I was listening to some of Bill Miller last night:

Last edited by CMD; 01-23-2019, 03:50 PM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey. Charlie that's pretty awesome man

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Surprised the heck out of me to see that, Red, lol. I was so glad I went that night.

It's crazy-funny how things work out sometimes Charlie - if I'd slowed down a bit to scan the entire video, I think I would have recognized you from your pics here I began to respond to your post, but thought I heard a hint of Jeff Buckley's sound in 'Underneath The Blue Sky', and went off on a tangent to see what I could find out resulting in about ten YouTube pages being open at once. Trying to get back to the beginning by closing out pages: I saw the 'Ghostdance' link and liked the song (although your version is much better), and tossed that in to my response to you - some of that Serendipity I 'spect

Click image for larger version  Name:	CharlieMeetsBillMiller.JPG Views:	1 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	345574

With all the stuff about the NA in D.C. on the news lately (can I say news? ), and your version of 'Ghostdance': thought I'd post Bill Miller's version of Hallelujah (a song of forgiving)

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Don. The serendipity continues. I saw that link to Hallelujah today and thought "I need to hear his rendition", but had not done so yet, until now. Forgiveness, ah, good thoughts, Don. God bless ya!
          Working...
          X