Cownose Ray Migration drone footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cownose Ray Migration drone footage

Cownose Rays are very common here and they are migrating even now. A group of them is called a "Fever"!... If swimming this time of year gotta do the Stingray Shuffle (no stepping just shuffling/sliding feet). But you can also get caught in the middle of them all swimming by, just like any other school of fish.. It's a trip. No worry at all if they are swimming. They are a beautiful golden color. Rays are predators they are not trash bottom feeders. They follow schools of anchovy and whitebait.
    Last edited by tomclark; 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Thanks Tom, I had no idea they traveled in large schools.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Them r cool
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Tom - In all the years that I lived in Florida, I've never seen that many Rays in one place. I am definitely familiar with the "Stingray" shuffle. That long shot from the camera is impressive.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Beautiful footage Tom...I bought a drone in August, and I dream of taking shots like this. I got some cool ones of Lake Tahoe the first week of October, but no Cownose Rays....
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	345664

Do people on your side of Florida eat them? I've caught them a couple of times, neat looking creatures. I just released them because I didn't want to deal with them.

Cubans and others in Miami eat them during Easter/Lent when some people avoid beef. Pastel de Chucho is basically a lasagna made from plantain bananas and ray meat, oddly sweet because of the plantains.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• tomclark
              tomclark commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome, we have a large population of cuban people and cuban restaurants/culture here in Tampa Bay. People do eat them...and sharks.... I don't eat them at all because they don't taste good to me no matter how they are prepared. I admit I would try some of what you posted! TRY..
              They punch poor man's "scallops" out of shark and ray meat. Meat from those fish (no bones like true fishes, only cartilage... they taste like ammonia ewwwww.... Yes, people have tricks and I'm up for that for sure with many OTHER fish/meat but not rays and sharks. I don't even like the Rays Baseball Team in my city hahahahaha. When diving (for fossils), rays are sometimes very curious, hang around..I think they are relatively smart fish.
          Working...
          X