Whale hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whale hunting

I have been reading a book called Captured by Indians, and this one account takes place up in British Columbia, and the Nootkas would go out in a canoe and harpoon whales. I just can’t imagine doing that from a dugout canoe. I’m sure they were big heavy canoes, but that must have been a real challenge.
    South Dakota

Talk about some brave men...yeah I've seen movies of whaling in New London CT...which was considered the whaling capital of the world 1800s right up to 1900.. Theres a seaport here where they show archives... Cool post Gary
    SW Connecticut

Comment

I believe it . I started reading some new books on the later tribes if you will . And what was documented in the last of their days in the wild in the 1700’s and on .. thank you Johnny for one . But it’s pretty interesting all the discoveries of the people and their ways .
      Its fun to walk out of just the artifacts . This place I am in , in Georgia is just littered . Listen to the old folks talk about the last of them . The creek Indians being in our area . It’s actually putting some sense into me about the tools I am finding . They were wood workers .
      Enjoying it .

Comment

I read that book years ago. I could not put it down. It gives first hand accounts of being captured by the Indians.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yes Matt it’s truly takes you there . You know with the past and no language in Archaic and of course Paloe it’s interesting to put a finality to some thoughts you might have. With a documentation even if it was more modern times it’s a puzzle solved .

Comment

Can't imagine how they manage to hunt whales in canoe... It even sounds dangerous considering sizes of both. I have a friend who was going to buy property in Iceland https://tranio.com/iceland/ and was surprised that they still hunt on whales there in XXI century when there is a lot of other fish and food around. But no they use huge ships with chains to pull up the killed whale.

Comment

The west coast canoes were huge by our standards. The average canoe was between 40 and 60 feet in length and could occasionally be 70 feet long.
              Here is an article you may be interested in reading.

Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Donald that is a very nice article . Love the pics of the dug out canoes .
                Just great .

That would be huge.
              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
              X