Roundup in Beer/Wine boom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roundup in Beer/Wine boom.

I don't want to get into a discussion of GLYPHOSATE/ROUNDUP except that I do not want it in or on my food or drinks. I don't drink wine or beer but I know an awful lot of people who do. Adds up IMHOP.

Glyphosate—the active ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup weedkiller that some studies have linked to cancer—is also a secret ingredient in nearly 20 popular beers and wines.

That's the finding of a new study from the education group U.S. PIRG, which found glyphosate in 19 of 20 wine and beer brands tested, including organic labels and brews.

The release of the study coincides with the beginning of the first federal trial against Monsanto and its new parent company Bayer over whether Roundup use caused a plaintiff's cancer, USA Today reported Monday.

"With a federal court looking at the connection between Roundup and cancer today, we believe this is the perfect time to shine a spotlight on glyphosate," study author and U.S. PIRG Toxic's Director Kara Cook-Schultz told USA Today. "This chemical could prove a true risk to so many Americans' health, and they should know that it is everywhere – including in many of their favorite drinks."

The drink with the highest glyphosate concentration was Sutter Home Merlot, at 51.4 parts per billion (ppb). Popular beer brands like Coors Light, Miller Lite and Budweiser all had concentrations above 25 ppb. The full results of the study, from highest to lowest glyphosate concentration in ppb, are listed below.

Wines
    1. Sutter Home Merlot: 51.4 ppb
    2. Beringer Founders Estates Moscato: 42.6 ppb
    3. Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon: 36.3 ppb
    4. Inkarri Malbec, Certified Organic: 5.3 ppb
    5. Frey Organic Natural White: 4.8 ppb

Beers
    1. Tsingtao Beer: 49.7 ppb
    2. Coors Light: 31.1 ppb
    3. Miller Lite: 29.8 ppb
    4. Budweiser: 27.0 ppb
    5. Corona Extra: 25.1 ppb
    6. Heineken: 20.9 ppb
    7. Guinness Draught: 20.3 ppb
    8. Stella Artois: 18.7 ppb
    9. Ace Perry Hard Cider: 14.5 ppb
    10. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: 11.8 ppb
    11. New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale: 11.2 ppb
    12. Sam Adams New England IPA: 11.0 ppb
    13. Stella Artois Cidre: 9.1 ppb
    14. Samuel Smith's Organic Lager: 5.7 ppb

The only beverage tested that contained no glyphosate was Peak Beer Organic IPA.

The amounts found were far below the safety limits for glyphosate set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as Bayer toxicologist William Reeves told CBS Newsvia a spokesperson.

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sets daily exposure limits at least 100 times below levels shown to have no negative effect in safety studies," Reeves said. "Assuming the greatest value reported, 51.4 ppb, is correct, a 125-pound adult would have to consume 308 gallons of wine per day, every day for life to reach the US Environmental Protection Agency's glyphosate exposure limit for humans. To put 308 gallons into context, that would be more than a bottle of wine every minute, for life, without sleeping."

However, the study noted that chemicals aren't necessarily safe just because regulatory bodies say they are.

"While these levels of glyphosate are below EPA risk tolerances for beverages, it is possible that even low levels of glyphosate can be problematic. For example, in one study, scientists found that 1 part per trillion of glyphosate has the potential to stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells and disrupt the endocrine system," the study said.

The EPA has found that glyphosate is not carcinogenic to humans, but the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer ruled it was a probable human carcinogen in 2015. More recently, a study released February found that those exposed to glyphosate were 41 percent more likely to develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

In the first case to go to trial against Monsanto over Roundup last year, a jury ruled that exposure to glyphosate had caused the non-Hodgkin lymphoma of California groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson. Plaintiff Edwin Hardeman is making a similar claim in the first federal glyphosate trial that started Monday.

"Due to glyphosate's many health risks and its ubiquitous nature in our food, water and alcohol, the use of glyphosate in the U.S. should be banned unless and until it can be proven safe," the U.S. PIRG study advised.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

I read last week it is found in Cherrios now too. I have eaten Cherrios for Breakfast for at least 10 years. I had eggs over medium this morning with some sarah lee delightful 45 whole wheat bread . Yeah then I decided to look that one up. Hmph made the top ten for unhealthest breads. Ranked 9th. https://www.eatthis.com/unhealthiest...on-the-planet/. Oh well gonna go organic and let it empty my pockets . I will also plant a garden onions going in very soon.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I came here to say what you said. It isn't just Cheerios though. It shows up in a majority of non-organic cereals, especially the major brands.

... what a world we live in...
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

What ever happened to brewed hops or whatever they put in it. For thousands of years we did fine, but some folks came along and had to screw it up. Good thing I don't drink! :-)
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I like to plant a garden for this very reason . I use as many heirloom seeds as I can find . I think Europe and Canada do a much better job of protecting their citizens as opposed to the US's protection of the citizens 401k balances and stock investments. So many products that should not be on the market are still allowed in this country because it's all about earnings . I'm not anti business by no means. I worked 20 plus years in international trade
        South Carolina

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	39.0 KB ID:	353417 Beer should really be made of only four ingredients. Water, Malt/Barley, Hops and Yeast. Using sugar instead of more expensive, tastier and rarer malted barley is cheaper (cheap USA beer for the masses per the chart). Cheap beer uses ewwww...rice and/or corn instead of Barley and rice/especially corn have the Roundup and GMO problems. To those cheap grains they add cheap sugar instead of adding malt. I said I don't drink beer I didn't say I didn't make it! Brunhilda took the Quaker Oatmeal we had on the shelf back to Publix due to the problems with OATS. They took 'em back. Please retain stool! Please drink quality beer, definitely make some of your own, and do not drink diet soda or any soda except once in a while.
          Last edited by tomclark; 02-26-2019, 08:54 PM.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            You should get some labels/Stickers made.

What We need is more Arrowhead Hunter's in place of roundup. I think It's sprayed where We usually walk anyway. We have to keep walking Field's until Crop's get waist hi, that will keep the weed's down.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That killer of more than weeds is in everything!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for this informative post Tom I've worked in the plant nursery industry most of my professional life and have come into contact with lots of bad chemicals; herbicides, pesticides, growth inhibitors and such. Nowadays my passion is teaching organic gardening. There is one brewery that surprises me on that list. Sierra Nevada there east coast headquarters and brewery is located in the town I live in. They claim to be very eco friendly.
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Just small urban gardens here but all the perfect lawns in the hoidy toidy areas of town are drenched with RoundUp. Regular sales at Home Depot. Their kids and dogs play on it. It rains and the stuff runs into the sewers and out into the bay. I can't get them to stop the lawn-Optics and neither does the city because it's getting paid for the reclaimed water being used up on those lawns.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup I hear ya! The golf course here smells toxic . Never wear slippers if I do go out .

I like to pour in a little coffee with my roundup ! No weeds on me !
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That stuff probably rots arrowheads too. ...not good
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for the Roundup info Tom. Last spring I planned to plant a garden. The quackgrass had me thinking of using roundup. Thankfully I didn't go the easy route. I tilled the ground many times all summer and fall but planted nothing. This coming spring I will have a non-poisoned ground to plant.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

A few way to reduce weeds in your Vegetable garden and some glyphosate alternatives. I do solarization when my weeds are way out of control just google basically cooking the weed seeds with sunlight and plastic. After your seeds germinate you can use Organic Preen Vegetable Garden. This is just organic corn gluten which prevents the weed seeds from germinating. I love making my own mulch with a black compost tumbler. Just make sure your compost gets hot enough to bake the weed seeds. I mulch around my plants and grind the compost into the soil after your crops are done. Some glyphosate alternatives outside the Veg garden Weed beater Fe is ok but to much iron can be a bad thing. Burnout by Bonide is just citric acid and is organic.
                      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Tam
                        Tam commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s interesting

Thanks Tom really as usual . I buy NEEM oil and dilute it with water ? Is that ok . Also marigolds let that sit in water or plant them .
                      lets see 308 gallons a wine a day hmmm never did that much in my youth BOOM

Comment

Working...
                      X