National Geographic show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Geographic show

Just a little heads up on the National Geograpic Channel . They have a nice piece on now about C. Columbus coming over and the Spanish .
    I know they don’t do an in depth series but we all study and read so much that its kind of nice to sit back and watch something for a change .
    I forgot the Spanish introduced the horse . Comming over with just a few pigs for food and how they turned into our new invasion .
    To be reminded of disease and the hardships for the NA .
    Very simple show but interesting enough to give up an hour .

Cool stuff Tam ...the Spanish hit Florida long before. Jamestown and Plymouth. According to special I watched on public TV last month
    SW Connecticut

Comment

I saw it flipping through the channels last night. We updated our Dish channels, so now we have some good stuff.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

The Spanish reintroduced the horse, once we had dog sized horses and we had camels too. The calvery brought in camels at one time to try on expeditions into the desert areas, that was not entirely successful..I’ll be looking for the program..
        Thanks Tam
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Yes, the horse did indeed originate in the Americans. And they were a dog size animal in the Eocene period, some 50+ million years ago. Regarding the evolution of a mammal, we probably have the best record of the horse over the course of time then any other mammal. And over that length of time, the horse grew bigger.

Another interesting fact is that early humans to the Americas did indeed encounter the horse, before it eventually went the opposite way of humans and crossed the Bering land bridge into Asia:

https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2012/11/...north-america/

"A remarkable find of a cache comprising 83 stone implements within the city limits of Boulder City, Colorado, in 2008 provided scientists with invaluable insights.

Biochemical analysis showed that some of the 13,000-year-old implements were used to butcher ice-age camels and horses."
          Rhode Island

Comment

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Very interesting article, Charlie. I missed that item when it first made the news, so all new to me.

Nice article as usual Charlie . I often wonder in the books I read what would have been the outcome or future of the NA .
          With over populating in some areas and wars and inslavement .
          The food running out and corn being the stable in the group Ethan is studying . They just up and left their superiors and they went in the forest to hunt . Some tribes reaching into the tens of thousands .
          Not putting any Europeans into this factor . What would have happened .
          The Spanish knocking out the Myan , Aztec and Incas .
          Just how the America’s would have played out in the modern world left alone . Would they have been overpopulated and impoverished like places in Africa and the Middle East .
          I always wonder Charlie .

Comment

National Geograpic Channel is my favourite! Watching it relaxes me a lot after a long working days.

Comment

Working...
            X